The International Crane Foundation (ICF) is looking for a detail-oriented team member to join our Communications/Marketing team in the role of Communications/Marketing Specialist – HQ. Over the past 50 years, ICF has grown from the dream of two college students to a world-renowned conservation effort to save the world’s cranes and the flyways and habitats they frequent.
What is it like to work at ICF? Prepare to be surrounded by people who are passionate about our mission, dedicated to the organization, and engaged with their fellow staff and associates. You will find dedication at all levels of the organization, from staff and volunteers to our board members. You will play a critical role in fulfilling our mission across the US and within our partner countries worldwide. The compensation for this position is $45,000 – $50,000 annually, with the work location of ICF’s headquarters in Baraboo, Wisconsin.
The Communications/Marketing Specialist supports the mission of ICF by assisting with local media relations, including writing press releases, pitching stories, working with film crews, and other writing and public relations activities at our headquarters (public site) and with our North America programs; assisting with advertising strategy and maintaining relationships with advertisers to promote both the public site, educational programs and public events; serving as a working member of the Great Midwest Crane Festival Committee; and assisting in implementing marketing strategies and promotions for ICF. The Specialist will work closely with other External Affairs staff, as well as members of the Development Team and staff from throughout the headquarters campus and the North America Program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for implementing the local media relations strategy at ICF’s headquarters and building relations with traditional/digital media outlets in Wisconsin and throughout the Midwest Region.
- Responsible for implementing ICF’s “Cranes of the World” advertising plan to increase visitor attendance and gift shop sales in collaboration with the Director of External Affairs and Visitor Program staff.
- Coordinate and manage interviews, speaking engagements, press conferences and press coverage as assigned.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of External Affairs to create external collateral materials and communications initiatives that support and enhance ICF’s brand message and image.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of External Affairs to establish and maintain editorial, graphic and branding standards for all ICF communications/materials.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide backup to the Digital Communications Program Manager with stories and initiatives to be shared on social media and the website.
- Provide staff with direction and media preparation for local media interviews.
- Attend meetings and events representing External Affairs to local communities, including Wisconsin Dells Visitor’s Center, Baraboo Chamber and Downtown Baraboo, Inc.
- Lead communications/marketing activities for the Great Midwest Crane Fest. Participate on the committee.
- Establish strong working relationships with staff, community partners, media, and advertising partners to further engagement in the mission of the organization.
- Work collaboratively with the Visitor Program, Development, and Animal Care staff to develop, implement and market events to the target audiences.
- Collaborates with staff to assist with all ICF events at headquarters, including fundraising and marketing events.
- Work collaboratively with HR Generalist to provide timely and engaging stories and internal communications for the staff intranet.
- Provide tours of the ICF site to members of the media and others.
- Serve as the organization’s spokesperson as needed.
- Clear understanding of the role of science in conservation and the ability to communicate effectively to identified audiences regarding ICF’s mission, programs, research and public site.
- Ability to develop new ideas or approaches to engage, educate and inspire a diverse audience.
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to effectively write various materials (press releases, articles, marketing materials) and the ability to vary writing style to
meet the needs of the audience and media.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including speaking clearly and persuasively to individuals and groups, listening effectively, and responding well to questions from conservation colleagues, ICF supporters, visitors, the press and the general public.
- Ability to identify problems; collect, organize and analyze information; and make appropriate decisions or recommendations within the defined scope of responsibilities.
- Ability to work some weeknights or weekends for special events.
- Work as a constructive team member, including the free sharing of information and technical expertise as needed.
- Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for others; inspire trust; and work with integrity and ethics.
- Quickly, effectively, and continually adapt to changes in work environment, duties, processes, and technologies.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to deal with the public, media and staff in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to plan and organize multiple tasks while working as part of a team.
- Ability to relate well to people from diverse ethnic/cultural and educational backgrounds and to craft messages as such in an informative and innovative manner.
- Ability to quickly build trust and influence with leaders and collaborators at all levels.
- Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills. Able to easily distill messages into believable, actionable content.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism or a related field is required.
- Three (3) or more years of communication and organizational writing experience. Knowledge in public relations, marketing strategies, advertising and internal communications. Experience working with non-profit organizations is a plus.
- Excellent English grammar and familiarity with AP Style.
- Experience designing digitized images and other graphics and/or working with a graphic designer to create ads and other marketing materials.
- Skilled use of Microsoft Word, Publisher and Outlook; basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel, media relations and photo-sharing sites.
- A valid driver’s license (USA or International) and an acceptable driving record are required.
**All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States when they apply.
- Background relating to communications and marketing.
- Previous marketing experience desired 2-3 years.
- Proficiency with basic Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, Zoom, Microsoft Teams and PowerPoint.
- Exceptional public speaking skills and the ability to communicate with diverse audiences in a formal and non-formal setting.
Physical Abilities and Work Environment:
The physical abilities and work environment characteristics described below represent those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to operate computers and phones.
- Ability to communicate with fellow staff, visitors, and donors. Communication will include both one-to-one communication and small- and large-group communication. Communications need to be in English. Communication means both written and oral communication.
- Ability to work at a workstation for 5-7 hours a day.
- Occasionally required to lift and move items up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to lead tours across our site outdoors during the spring, summer and fall seasons in all types of weather.
The work environment includes office work and outside interviews and tours with members of the media and others. The office environment is clean and climate-controlled.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list “Communications/Marketing Specialist” in the subject line.
“ICF is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We hire great people.’
ICF is an equal-opportunity employer.