At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong, Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWXT provides safe and effective nuclear solutions for national security, clean energy, environmental remediation, nuclear medicine and space exploration. With approximately 6,400 employees, BWXT has 12 major operating sites in the U.S. and Canada. We are the sole manufacturer of naval nuclear reactors for U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers. Our company supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry across four continents. Our joint ventures provide environmental remediation and nuclear operations management at more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. BWXT’s technology is driving advances in medical radioisotope production in North America and microreactors for various defense and space applications. Follow us on Twitter at @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
BWXT is currently seeking a Computational Research Engineer for its Lynchburg, VA location!
BWXT is People Strong, Innovation Driven - be part of BWXT’s innovation hub. BWXT’s Advanced Technologies (AT) group researches, designs, and develops innovative new nuclear reactors, nuclear rocket propulsion systems, and radioisotope production systems for both internal and external customers.
BWXT’s Advanced Technologies group is seeking a talented Computational Research Engineer with computer science skills and technical leadership experience for developing nuclear physics simulation models and platforms. This position will develop physics and multi-physics models for maturing applied reactor and microreactor design and manufacturing applications, as well as platforms to automate engineering workflows and analyze design space.
If you are looking for a career where your experience is valued, innovative thinking is fostered, and barrier-free teamwork is embraced every day, then this opportunity is for you. The position will be located in the Lynchburg, VA Advanced Technologies office.
Job Description / Duties:
- Assist with technical development area as part of a development team, for new features and fidelity as needed for contracted and internal R&D objectives.
- Maintain and improve simulation suites and enhance nuclear designs.
- Solve predictive problems and quantify uncertainty by writing algorithms, developing multi-physics platforms to model and integrate physics, conduct experiments, and integrate structured and unstructured data.
- Provide direction for platform development operations, code refactoring, verification and validation plans, SQA, computing cluster management, mentoring other developers and increase adoption of user base.
Job Qualifications / Requirements:
- Experience developing software applications and platform development, V&V, SQA and familiarity with cluster computing is preferred.
- Foundational education in nuclear or mechanical engineering augmented by computer or data science experience is preferred.
- Experience with statistical methods, monte carlo uncertainty propagation, markov chain methods, finite element analyses and/or sensitivity studies is preferred.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. citizenship with (no dual citizenship) ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation, drug test and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status.