Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, Houston, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Chicago, Bozeman, and Washington, DC. The Data Visualization Designer leads the production of high-quality data visualizations, infographics, and designs that translate raw, technical information for key audiences. The position also plays a supporting role in the overall graphic design needs of the organization. As a critical member of the Design Team within the Communications Department, this position works collaboratively across multiple teams and disciplines, using data visualization strategies in support of program priorities and fundraising, marketing, and audience engagement goals. This position can be remote in the U.S. or based in San Francisco, CA (preferred). Responsibilities: Data Visualization (70 percent)
- Lead the design of clean, impactful, user-friendly data visualizations in support of programmatic, marketing, and fundraising goals
- Collaborate with key internal and external stakeholders (including attorneys, policy experts, scientists, researchers, communications strategists, and gift officers) to understand their communication goals and develop visualizations strategies
- Use data visualization techniques to distill and clarify complex processes or data sets
- Manage and art direct vendors working on data visualization and infographics to ensure high-quality deliverables
- Provide guidance and thought partnership to wider Communications department and other teams on data visualization projects
- Conduct quality assurance and review of all data visualizations to ensure accuracy, usability, and adherence to existing branding and style guidelines
- Develop guidance to train and mentor junior staff members on data visualization best practices, techniques, and tools
- Keep up to date with emerging trends and technologies in data visualization and provide recommendations to wider team
Graphic Design (30 percent)
- Serve as supporting in-house designer on a variety of institutional print and digital collateral, including reports, magazines, advertisements, brochures, and marketing materials
- Participate in Design & Creative team sessions on storytelling, campaign brainstorms, and strategic planning
- Partner with Design and Multimedia teams in the organization and archiving of assets in the digital assets management system
- Support other general graphic design functions as needed
- BA in Visual Arts, Graphic Design, Digital Media Design or equivalent combination of training and design experience required
- Minimum of 4-5 years of professional experience in data visualization
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in graphic design
- Deep expertise in distilling the “big picture” from scientific, legal, and other data into clean, user-friendly visuals
- Demonstrated experience in graphic design required
- Knowledge of printing techniques and ability to handle prepress file preparation is preferred
- Expertise with chart-making and other data visualization techniques required
- Expertise with mapping tools such as GIS and cartography skills preferred
- Expertise with animation and video editing and storytelling software is a plus
- Knowledge of printing techniques and ability to handle prepress file preparation is a plus
- Knowledge of social media and web design is a plus
- Experience with data-based journalism and tools is a plus
- Knowledge of environmental issues is a plus
- Advanced proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel)
- Thorough knowledge of visual design principles, including photography, typography, iconography, color theory
- Ability to lead conversations about data visualization strategy and manage for successful execution
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment while being organized, productive, timely and reliable
- Ability to synthesize constructive feedback into responsive designs while still maintaining strong, cohesive vision
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness, especially in image selection
- Ability to work cross-functionally and on teams; possesses strong communication skills and emotional intelligence
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Salary is dependent on experience and location.
San Francisco, CA or New York, NY: $98,300 - $109,200
Seattle, WA, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, Honolulu, HI: $93,400 - $103,800
Denver, CO, Philadelphia, PA, Anchorage, AK, Juneau, AK: $88,500 - $98,300
Miami & Tallahassee, FL, New Orleans, LA, Bozeman, MT: $83,600 - $92,900
Other remote locations salary may vary: $83,600 - $103,800
Interested candidates should submit a:
- Cover letter
- Portfolio with Data Visualization examples (submitted as links in a Word document or PDF)
- Note in Jobvite, click the "Add Files" button to add these files to your application. Incomplete applications without portfolios (or links to one) will not be considered.
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.