Director of Offshore Wind (DOW)
Remote, with preference for Washington, D.C., California, NE Region
The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Director of Offshore Wind (DOW). The DOW will develop and advance BGA’s policy development and advocacy on offshore wind (OSW). The DOW will work with BGA partners and allies, manage an internal team, develop and execute national OSW strategies, and advance BGA’s OSW agenda. The DOW reports to the Vice President, Legislation and Federal Affairs.
The BGA is a powerful and unified voice for building an economy that addresses climate change, protects the health of people and the environment, eliminates income and racial disparities, and creates and maintains good-paying, union jobs in communities across the country. BGA brings together labor unions and environmental organizations—representing millions of members and supporters—around a shared agenda and enacts change by advocating at the state and federal level; providing education and engaging union members and environmentalists; and communicating the benefits of this shared agenda for working people, their families, and their communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The DOW will:
- Direct and advance BGA’s OSW Program by developing and leading the implementation of organization-wide strategies, policies, and programs, as well as related supply chain, infrastructure, labor and equity, and other issue areas;
- Lead national policy development and strategy efforts regarding offshore wind and related infrastructure, including transmission and port development;
- Develop state strategy on offshore wind with the VP of State Affairs;
- Supervise, hire, and direct work of offshore wind staff;
- Provide technical resources and expertise and guide staff to move legislation and regulatory policy at the federal and state level;
- Build and sustain relationships, execute policy development and strategy, and represent BGA across a spectrum of policymakers, coalitions, and business and community groups;
- Drive and support research in offshore wind;
- Author and review public messaging and materials on offshore wind, including policy platforms and memos, letters, technical comments, white papers, reports, presentations, public communications, and other items as needed;
- Lead and support fundraising efforts on offshore wind.
- Five or more years of experience in policy, advocacy, labor, or business, or a combination of education and experience to exceed ten years;
- Experience with offshore wind;
- Experience leading/overseeing a team or department;
- Experience with environmental policy, labor policy, workforce development, and/or high-road job creation;
- Experience developing policy proposals and writing persuasive educational materials;
- Experience working with elected officials, relevant federal or state agencies, or legislative or executive branch offices, including lobbying and mobilizing key constituents;
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including experience with position-specific technologies.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Self-starting, highly motivated, positive attitude, able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and ability to see projects through to completion;
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Highly adaptable, flexible, and able to prioritize work and switch between tasks/manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Willingness to continually learn new skills and tools;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and orientation to building collaborative structures;
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team with the ability to lead a team;
- Strong commitment to economic, racial, and environmental justice; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee and family;
- Employer-paid Life, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability for employees;
- Cell phone reimbursement;
- 15 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 17 paid holidays to start;
- Access to health care and dependent care FSA accounts;
- 4% 401k Employer contribution.
Salary range, $90,000-105,000, yearly, DOQ. This is an Exempt position.
The position will be remote, with preference for location in Washington, D.C., California, or the NE Region and will require a minimum of 10% travel. The position is open until filled. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy and related conditions, sexual or gender identity, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.