EDF’s Economics Mission Area is the nexus of economics at EDF, ensuring that the economic thinking that is the backbone for all EDF policy positions is based on the best available research and rigorous analysis. To be most effective in this role, the Economics team provides support for other teams throughout EDF and fosters relationships with economists outside the organization.
The Economics Advisor provides overall vision, strategy, and leadership for key aspects of EDF’s work in key jurisdictions around the world to ensure that EDF advocacy is based on and strongly supported by sound economics. A key member of the Economics leadership team, the Economics Advisor reports directly to the Senior Vice President, Chief Economist.
Support for economics-based advocacy
- In collaboration with colleagues across EDF, inform the development and implementation of short- and long-term strategies to accelerate the adoption of robust, ambitious, carbon pricing policies in key jurisdictions globally.
- Lead and mentor a top-notch team of economists and analysts to provide innovative, compelling analysis to inform the design and implementation of climate policy.
- Priority topics for this role to support include: the US ‘Build to Zero’ initiative ; hydrogen; global carbon pricing and markets; energy transition - and specifically establishment of an international network of energy system modelers with strong connections to local decision makers in selected countries around the world; global clean air; safer chemicals; other EDF work areas to be determined.
- Lead fundraising efforts to support EDF’s work and targeted workstream and initiatives’ analytical and research capacity, including by identifying potential fundraising opportunities, preparing and reviewing compelling funding proposals, meeting with funders, and building relationships with potential funders.
- Support fundraising efforts to support EDF’s work to build an economics basis for global climate policies more broadly, as needed, in partnership with colleagues across EDF.
Research, analysis, and thought leadership
- Apply expertise to help design, analyze, and promote market-based mechanisms and other incentive-based policies and finance approaches to support workstream and initiative goals.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of cutting-edge analytic models that enable robust explication of the potential impacts of potential options.
- Develop and maintain thought leadership on key issues. Represent EDF in academic and policy forums around the world.
- Position EDF at the center of a network of global experts, nurturing and building formal and informal partnerships with experts and peers in other leading global research institutions.
- Lead the team in conducting and publishing high-quality economics and applied policy analyses and research to inform near-term policy and advocacy efforts as well as longer-term program priorities and strategies.
- Promote an organizational culture and structure that fosters cooperation, communication, collaboration, teamwork, and trust and embraces diversity.
- Hire, train, and supervise staff and independent contractors.
- Provide leadership, direction, mentorship, and support for the staff.
- Provide professional development activities that upgrade staff skills, support learning, motivate performance, and promote staff retention.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- PhD in economics or the equivalent, with in-depth knowledge of environmental and natural resource economics theory and applied research, including strong publication record.
- 12+ years work experience (research, applied policy work, and related professional experience), including international work and research experience on development and environmental issues.
- International reputation as a leading expert in environmental economics.
- Deep experience working with international organizations and government agencies on climate action.
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining effective relationships with relevant outside stakeholders, including strong ties to, and working relationships with a broad network of top environmental economists and researchers in academia, research institutes, government, and non-government organizations around the world.
- Excellent economic intuition, ability to challenge conventional wisdom, and an ability to explain economic ideas to non-economists.
- Excellent economic analytical skills and ability to evaluate and work with, as well as develop, improve, and adapt relevant economic models.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- A collaborative leadership style, with proven ability to empower and inspire staff and encourage staff development.
- Proven track record managing multidisciplinary research projects and coordinating working groups across institutions and countries.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing a strategic vision.
- Proven ability in fundraising and nurturing donor relationships.
- Strong entrepreneurial capabilities and ability to foster innovation.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
 EDF is starting an initiative to intensify the speed and scale of clean energy and clean transportation project deployment – called “Build to Zero” -- that will activate its deep bench of political, policy, legal, communications and private-sector expertise to overcome the most significant barriers.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.