This is a fantastic opportunity to make an impact at a fast growing CleanTech startup that recently raised $20M in Series A venture funding from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, 2150 and Volo Earth Ventures.
We at Blue Frontier are racing to solve arguably the biggest sustainability problem in the world using disruptive technology and business models. Air conditioning is the fastest growing use of electricity in the US and globally. If present trends continue, by 2050 air conditioning electricity consumption will be bigger than the combined electricity consumption of China and India today! You can help us bring to market a technology that delivers a revolutionary step-change improvement in efficiency and performance of air conditioning systems, whilst actively facilitating increased use of renewable energy on the grid, creating massive global decarbonization potential.
Working in the HVAC Product Development department and reporting to the VP of Product Development, the Mechanical Engineer will work with the VP of Product Development to implement Engineering solutions, designs, and processes that will enhance the performance, manufacturability, cost, reliability, life, and quality of our systems.
To the ideal candidate, this position is an opportunity to create products with the potential to literally change the world for the better. If you are creative, personable, highly responsible, passionate, intelligent, and driven, you should join us.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops detailed mechanical designs for HVAC components and assemblies using SolidWorks
- Conducts engineering analysis including heat transfer, structural strength, materials compatibility, fluid dynamics, electrical power consumption, manufacturing methods, controls, etc., to arrive at designs that meet or exceed established expectations
- Supports the fabrication of prototype and pre-production systems or subsystems. This includes discussion with outside vendors, sourcing of components, and coordination with technicians and other engineers
- Tests and develops test protocols for evaluating prototypes
- Works with the Manufacturing department to develop manufacturing methods and processes and enhance the manufacturability of the design
- Must be able to manage tasks and projects with significant amount of autonomy
- Must be an excellent verbal communicator and presenter.
Prototype Testing and Field Trial Support
- The Mechanical Engineer will support internal and external testing of prototype systems
- The Mechanical Engineer will assist with the development of documentation necessary for Product Certification, Installation, Testing and Decommissioning.
Skills and Capabilities
Education & Experience
- 5+ years relevant industry experience, with emphasis in product development of highly engineered systems and hardware.
- Experience engineering for HVAC, advanced air conditioning, thin-plate heat exchangers or other stacked-plate type devices such as fuel cells or batteries would be a “plus”
- Experience taking product from design to manufacturing
- BS in Mechanical Engineering from a top 100 university.
Skills & Knowledge
- CAD including SolidWorks
- Excellent understanding of mechanical design concepts:, Manufacturing, Durability, Quality, Structural Strength, Materials Selection, Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer, Controls, Testing, data analysis, and uncertainty quantification
- Other skills that are a plus: Statistical analysis, Python programming, system level modeling, Finite Element Modeling, Multiphysics Modeling, LabVIEW programming and Computational Fluid Dynamics.
Compensation and Benefits
Highly competitive salary commensurate with the position and level of capabilities of the applicant.
Medical and dental insurance. Paid vacation and holidays.
Location and Travel
This role will be based in our Boca Raton facility which is located close to Boca Raton Tri-Rail station.