A Landscape Operations Manager is a management position that plays a critical role in driving and ensuring safety, quality, and productivity in the field. All employees are expected to carry out the company’s mission, vision, and values.
As a Landscape Operations Manager at Schill Grounds Management, you must be able to perform the following essential functions of the job:
- Train and strictly enforce all safety procedures and policies.
- Ensure work is performed to the level of quality required to completely satisfy each customer.
- Participate in the company’s Quality Control System.
- Oversee training and certification activities.
- Identify and work to improve lower level performing crew leaders and crews.
- Create capability within the crews through training, instruction, education, correction and follow-up.
- Ensure that no crew is dispatched without job hours, a clear scope of work, and proper equipment.
- Ensure all crews are working productively and consistent with the company’s Production System.
- Ensure every crew has a plan that includes proper scope, proper sequence of task, the right number of people, the right personnel qualifications, training and certification for the job, the right equipment and man-hour targets.
- Challenge the established job plans periodically and continuously improve the plans.
- Create job plans for new jobs before the work begins.
- Identify low performing jobs and re-plan the work to improve performance.
- Develop crew schedules accounting for and optimizing job locations, equipment allocation, crew skills, customer preferences, most productive job timing, job hours.
- Support the mechanic’s programs for Preventative Maintenance, repair procedures, safety and function inspections, and inventory systems.
- Assist as appropriate in developing production cost estimates for new opportunities.
- Act as a liaison between field operations and the administrative, customer service, and general management functions.
- Follow all company policies and procedures.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
JOB SKILLS AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships with customers
- Must be self-motivated
- Must be a creative problem solver with the capacity to innovate
- Must be team-oriented
Employees performing this job should be able and willing to drive or travel locally, if needed. Schedules for this position may vary and may require flexibility to work extended hours. Potential work hours during the snow season include nighttime, weekends, and holidays to participate with snow removal activities. This position will require working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions including rain, snow, sun, extreme cold or heat.
Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record to meet fleet insurance standards
Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish is preferred
Must be able to pass a drug and alcohol test
8 years of landscape experience including 3 years as a manager is preferred, but may be flexible based on other qualifications
Knowledge of local turf types, shrubs, groundcover, and seasonal color materials including growth characteristics, appropriate maintenance techniques, and most common issues
Strong computer skills and the ability to adapt to new software programs
Must be able to move and/or lift up to 60 pounds consistently