We are America's leading health solutions company (Fortune #6), delivering care in ways no one else can. Our purpose is simple and clear: Bringing our heart to every moment of your health. We are working to transform health care through innovations that make quality care more accessible, easier to use, less expensive and patient focused. Working together and organizing around the individual, we are pioneering a new approach to total health that puts people at the heart.
The Data & Analytics Organization is inspired to make a difference through data by making health care human-centered and connecting people to the information they need to feel the joy of achieving their best health.
The Lead Director of Data Engineering will be responsible for leading Strategy & Execution of Data Engineering & Machine Learning Engineering teams.
• Provide technical leadership and guidance to a team of approximately 15 data and machine learning engineers who design, develop, and maintain scalable data pipelines, databases, and data infrastructure.
• Drive the implementation of best practices, standards, and processes for data engineering to ensure optimal performance, reliability, and efficiency.
• Architect and build systems that enable seamless data integration and consumption across various systems and platforms.
• Design, evaluate, and recommend appropriate cloud solutions for data storage, processing, and analytics, ensuring scalability and cost-effectiveness.
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including software engineers, data scientists, and business stakeholders, to understand data requirements and provide technical solutions.
• Lead the delivery of complex data engineering projects, ensuring timely completion, high-quality deliverables, and adherence to budgetary constraints.
• Effectively manage stakeholder expectations by providing regular project status updates, addressing concerns, and managing dependencies.
You will be working as a member of one of our scrum teams in a hybrid role in one of the CVS Health or Aetna offices around the country. (2 days per week onsite in Wellesley (Boston), MA; NYC; Hartford, CT; or Pittsburgh, PA).Preferred Qualifications
• Experience with machine learning, MLOps, and model training, serving, and scoring.
• Experience with large language models.Education
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in Computer Science, Engineering, Machine Learning, or related discipline.
Master’s degree or PhD preferred.Required Qualifications
• 7+ years' experience in a Leadership role within data or software engineering, with a strong focus on technical expertise.
• 5+ years' experience including in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with cloud platforms (preferably Google Cloud Platform (GCP) but open to AWS or Azure), including data storage, processing, and analytics services.
• Demonstrated track record of successfully delivering complex data engineering projects, showcasing technical skills, project management abilities, and problem-solving capabilities.
• Strong programming skills in languages such as Python, Java, C#, or Go.
• Proficiency in data modeling, ETL/ELT processes, and data warehousing concepts.
• Experience designing and optimizing APIs for efficient data integration and consumption.
• Experience with both real-time and batch systems.
• Excellent understanding of data governance, data security, and privacy regulations.
• Exceptional stakeholder management skills, with the ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.Business Overview
Bring your heart to CVS Health Every one of us at CVS Health shares a single, clear purpose: Bringing our heart to every moment of your health. This purpose guides our commitment to deliver enhanced human-centric health care for a rapidly changing world. Anchored in our brand — with heart at its center — our purpose sends a personal message that how we deliver our services is just as important as what we deliver. Our Heart At Work Behaviors™ support this purpose. We want everyone who works at CVS Health to feel empowered by the role they play in transforming our culture and accelerating our ability to innovate and deliver solutions to make health care more personal, convenient and affordable. We strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging every day. CVS Health is an affirmative action employer, and is an equal opportunity employer, as are the physician-owned businesses for which CVS Health provides management services. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, promotion, or any other personnel action based on race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We proudly support and encourage people with military experience (active, veterans, reservists and National Guard) as well as military spouses to apply for CVS Health job opportunities.Job Posting Bonus Description
This position is eligible for a CVS Health bonus, commission or short-term incentive program in addition to the base pay range listed above.Job Posting Equity Description
This position also includes an award target in the company’s equity award program.Job Posting Pay Equity Language Part 1
This pay range represents the base hourly rate or base annual full-time salary for all positions in the job grade within which this position falls. The actual base salary offer will depend on a variety of factors including experience, education, geography and other relevant factors.Job Posting Pay Equity Language Part 2
In addition to your compensation, enjoy the rewards of an organization that puts our heart into caring for our colleagues and our communities. The Company offers a full range of medical, dental, and vision benefits. Eligible employees may enroll in the Company's 401(k) retirement savings plan, and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan is also available for eligible employees. The Company provides a fully-paid term life insurance plan to eligible employees, and short-term and long term disability benefits. CVS Health also offers numerous well-being programs, education assistance, free development courses, a CVS store discount, and discount programs with participating partners. As for time off, Company employees enjoy Paid Time Off (PTO) or vacation pay, as well as paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Number of paid holidays, sick time and other time off are provided consistent with relevant state law and Company policies.
For more detailed information on available benefits, please visit