Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry. To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
At National Grid Ventures, we aim to create an environment where everyone is welcomed for who they are and where our differences are celebrated. We utilize the insights of our employees that come from all different cultures, backgrounds, and beliefs to better serve our customers and communities.
National Grid Ventures is hiring a Lead Engineer, Cable Systems, US Offshore Wind for our US Offshore Wind development. The hybrid role can be located in our Brooklyn, NY, or Waltham, MA office.
The candidate will be working in the US Offshore Development business unit supporting all elements of onshore and offshore power cable systems. These include high-voltage direct current (HVDC) and high-voltage (HVAC) export cables, subsea power cables and onshore underground transmission. The candidate will interface with cable suppliers, engineering consultants, and permitting consultants to lead work packages from FEED study through detailed design.
• Lead project engineering activities associated with high voltage submarine and underground cable systems
• Support the broader Business Development team during the origination and development phases.
• Lead all aspects of cable system engineering requirements and related installation expectations for HVDC and HVAC export cables and onshore and offshore grids
• Lead technical evaluations of projects, electrical design of underground and offshore transmission projects
• Lead development of cost estimates related to cable packages
• Work across all phases of feasibility assessments, proposal write-ups, cost and pricing formation, stakeholder engagement, and regulatory processes
• Pursue technical assessments of electric transmission cable requirements, such as siting, routing, on-land, off-shore, and cost estimation, as needed to help pursue most economically advantageous options, feasibility and project opportunities.
• Review technical reports, studies and drawings associated with cables system including considerations for the electrical and civil design of high voltage AC and DC transmission lines
• Lead technical analysis as needed to support potential project partnerships
• Document, present and report findings and justifications. Help prepare executive summaries or investment committee papers.
• Support or lead on siting, permitting and licensing requirements and/or hearings, if required.
• Oversee consultants’, engineers or other subject matter experts as required to augment or complement the Business Development team.
• Work in a project team and matrix environment interacting with individuals across NG functions in the US and UK
• Support technical work with external vendors, including support of tendering and execution of RFI and RFPs
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
• Bachelor’s in electrical engineering, Mathematics, or related quantitative fields.
• Five years’ experience in submarine and underground cable system engineering, design, installation, or operations is required.
• Experience supporting power cable applications with utility scale electric transmission systems is required
• Ability to lead technical aspects of project with minimal supervision
• Demonstrated ability to manage complex team interfaces to facilitate and drive project deliverables is essential.
• Experience with HVDC cable system and HVAC systems greater than 230kV is highly desirable
Downstate NY: $137,000 - $161,000 a year
New England: $128,000 - $151,000 a year
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.