At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong, Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWXT provides safe and effective nuclear solutions for national security, clean energy, environmental remediation, nuclear medicine and space exploration. With approximately 6,400 employees, BWXT has 12 major operating sites in the U.S. and Canada. We are the sole manufacturer of naval nuclear reactors for U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers. Our company supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry across four continents. Our joint ventures provide environmental remediation and nuclear operations management at more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. BWXT’s technology is driving advances in medical radioisotope production in North America and microreactors for various defense and space applications. Follow us on Twitter at @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
BWXT is currently seeking a Linux System Administrator for its Advanced Technologies location in Lynchburg, VA!
BWXT is People Strong, Innovation Driven - be part of BWXT’s innovation hub. BWXT’s Advanced Technologies (AT) researches, designs, and develops innovative new nuclear reactors, nuclear rocket propulsion systems, and radioisotope production systems for both internal and external customers. BWXT Advanced Technologies is seeking a LINUX System Administrator. This position will be located at our Lynchburg, VA, Mt. Athos Lynchburg Technology Center office.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the oversight, maintenance, and operation of multiple LINUX systems, including various types of servers, workstations, and high-performance computing systems. The candidate will also be responsible for working with end users to install, configure, and maintain software applications to support their needs, including engineering applications, web servers (e.g., for GitHub), and application servers, while balancing those needs against system security and corporate IT policy requirements. This will require regular interaction with IT staff and coordination with Cyber Security personnel to ensure that all of the necessary policies are implemented to provide appropriate levels of system security. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated and experienced LINUX system administrator that is interested in achieving excellence and works effectively with minimal supervision.
If you are looking for a career where your experience is valued, innovative thinking is fostered, and barrier-free teamwork is embraced every day, then this opportunity is for you.
Job Description / Duties:
- Perform updates to the various LINUX systems.
- Add and remove users on the various LINUX systems.
- Maintain security group assignments for projects on the various systems.
- Work with end users to properly install and configure new approved software on the systems.
- Set up appropriate access restrictions to maintain license compliance when necessary.
- Set up new systems when needed for applications or projects.
- Coordinate with users, other System Administrators, and local Network Administrators to ensure that all LINUX system policy and security requirements are met.
- Provide support for maintenance and upgrades to the LINUX computational architecture as threats, regulatory requirements, and the business needs change.
Job Qualifications / Requirements:
- Must possess at least two (2) years of related experience.
- Must have experience with LINUX system architectures, including technology infrastructure, data, and applications.
- Must understand best practices for LINUX system administration, and should have a working knowledge of databases, applications, and externally hosted solutions.
- Must be familiar with LINUX scripting, package maintenance and update processes, network configuration, file systems, user account management, and group and system security policies.
- Must possess a working competence with the installation and use of engineering design applications in LINUX environments.
- Must be familiar with server system hardware and firmware configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting, and upkeep.
- Must have excellent communications skills in order to effectively interact with end users, local Management, and Information Technology (IT) personnel.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality when working with sensitive information.
- Must be a U.S. citizen with no dual citizenship.
Additional Desired Skillsets:
- Experience with the configuration and management of LINUX systems and job scheduling and cluster management software in High Performance Computing environments, particularly with SLURM. Bright Cluster Manager experience highly desired.
- Working knowledge of parallel processing protocols (OpenMPI, MPICH, etc.) with both standard and Infiniband networks.
- Working experience with the configuration and use of parallelized engineering applications in a HPC environment.
- Working knowledge of the application of security policies on LINUX systems, including SELINUX and DISA STIGs.
- Understanding of the Dell iDRAC interface to manage and maintain system integrity and performance.
- Certification as a Red Hat System Administrator or Engineer.
- Prior experience in the nuclear energy industry with an understanding of software quality assurance controls.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. citizenship with (no dual citizenship) ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation, drug test and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status.