At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong, Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWXT provides safe and effective nuclear solutions for national security, clean energy, environmental remediation, nuclear medicine and space exploration. With approximately 6,400 employees, BWXT has 12 major operating sites in the U.S. and Canada. We are the sole manufacturer of naval nuclear reactors for U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers. Our company supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry across four continents. Our joint ventures provide environmental remediation and nuclear operations management at more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. BWXT’s technology is driving advances in medical radioisotope production in North America and microreactors for various defense and space applications. Follow us on Twitter at @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
Materials Engineer - BWX Technologies, Inc. - Euclid, OH
Provide technical leadership and utilize a strong background in Materials Science for broad metallurgical support in a project team environment, for both in-house and vendor manufacturing. The ability to lead technical projects/investigations, manage extensive documentation and the possession of excellent time management skills are crucial. Familiarity with materials processing (melting, forging, heat treating, casting), mechanical testing, metallography/SEM, EDM, plating, corrosion, and nuclear engineering materials is strongly desired.
- Utilize a strong Materials Science background to manage/oversee and improve internal and external material processing and evaluations for a variety of Iron, Nickel, Cobalt and Copper based alloys and their components.
- Interpret and implement military and commercial material and processing specification requirements.
- Interpret and implement product drawings and customer technical document requirements.
- Review vendor procedures to ensure proper material/component processing.
- Prepare/review technical requirement documents for purchasing orders.
- Review material certifications for product acceptance.
- Review in-house rework and testing routings and coordinate testing of materials and processes.
- Review metallographic specimens and reports for weld and braze qualifications.
- Compose procedures for heat treatment, solvent cleaning, acid cleaning, etc.
- Take the lead in resolving in-house and vendor materials-related technical and quality issues. Compose technical reports and/or corrective actions, utilizing internal and external lab resources as required.
- Provide vendor support through on-site visits and source inspection of selected parts and operations, including heat-treat surveillance. Vendors include heat-treaters, mills, foundries, forges, and platers.
- Implement and maintain Cleanliness and Detrimental Materials Control (MIL-STD-767, MIL-STD-2041).
- Interface with customers, vendors and internal departments.
- Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD of Engineering in Materials Science or Metallurgy.
- Minimum four (4) years of experience. Relevant post-graduate work will be considered.
- Strong verbal and technical writing skills.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE security clearance.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. citizenship with (no dual citizenship) ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation, drug test and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status.