NR Welder (with $2,000 Sign-On Bonus) - BWX Technologies, Inc. - Mt. Vernon, IN
BWXT is currently seeking qualified TIG and stick welders to join its growing team in Mt. Vernon, IN!
Those selected for this position will perform, after a series of qualifications, a variety of technical and specialty welding operations. Operations include but are not limited to the use of manual, automatic, and robotic equipment. Welding quality and maintenance of documentation are equal to or in excess of commercial nuclear requirements. Acceptable quality welds will be in accordance with prescribed quality control procedures.
Applicants must be proficient with SMAW (stick) welding and should also have experience pipe welding with manual GTAW (TIG) welding processes. Additional experience with dissimilar metal welding is also desired. Experience performing x-ray and/or ultrasonic tested quality welds; welding out of position, in tight spaces and/or more complicated positions; knowledge of heat treat practices; and familiarity with NDE methods is a plus. We are also currently offering a sign-on bonus of $2,000.
Primary duties will include:
- Identify and perform basic layouts to determine clad limit lines, weld size, spacing, etc.
- Set up, align and level job.
- Move equipment and components to and from workstation.
- Attach preheat torches inside and outside, maintaining proper preheat temperatures.
- Set up and tear down scaffold, when necessary.
- Install and remove mechanical round-out rings.
- Responsible for using proper wire and flux for job to be performed.
- Provide weld quality comparable to commercial nuclear requirements
- Grind and arc-air to remove defects.
- Buff, grind, and clean surfaces prior to welding and grind completed welds to drawing requirements.
- Setup and perform welding machine adjustments, including wire feed and electrode placement, as the job dictates.
- Keep equipment and work area clean and orderly.
- Maintain necessary records.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This is a full-time fabrication position
Work performed involves low-volume, high-engineering large-scale product and must conform to all customer, code, and quality control requirements. Additionally, the person in this role must work in accordance with all applicable company procedures, policies and rules. Please note that this is a physically demanding position with the following essential functions:
- Welding at extreme temperatures
- Welding from platforms, lifts, ladders, and at heights above 30 feet
- Ability to enter confined spaces
- Ability to weld in a variety of positions, including laying on stomach
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Please note: This position will likely involve back shift work (4:00 PM to 4:00 AM) and/or weekend shift work. Shift premiums are provided for off-shift work. Successful applicants must be willing/able to work any shift.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status.
At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong, Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Virginia, BWXT is a Fortune 1000 and Defense News Top 100 manufacturing and engineering innovator that provides safe and effective nuclear solutions for global security, clean energy, environmental restoration, nuclear medicine and space exploration. With approximately 6,700 employees, BWXT has 14 major operating sites in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. We are the sole manufacturer of naval nuclear reactors for U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers. Our company supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry across four continents. Our joint ventures provide environmental restoration and nuclear operations management at more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. BWXT’s technology is driving advances in medical radioisotope production in North America and microreactors for various defense and space applications. Follow us on Twitter at @BWXT and learn more at www.bwxt.com.