Renewable Northwest, the Northwest’s preeminent renewable energy advocacy organization, seeks a highly motivated Policy Manager. The Policy Manager will represent the organization in matters pertaining to Offshore Wind on the Pacific Coast, with particular emphasis in Oregon and Washington to support legislative, regulatory and policy activities in the region to accelerate the transition to renewable energy resources. The Policy Manager will oversee work including coordinating with organizations in California to develop a regional coalition focused on equitable and sustainable workforce and supply chain development for Offshore Wind. This position must be located in either Oregon or Washington. This position will require regular travel throughout the western United States.
ABOUT RENEWABLE NORTHWEST
Renewable Northwest is a regional nonprofit advocacy organization promoting the expansion of environmentally responsible new renewable resources such as wind, solar, storage, wave, and geothermal energy. Seen as a model by national allies, Renewable Northwest serves four Northwest states – Oregon, Washington, Montana, and Idaho. Member organizations include leading renewable energy businesses, environmental organizations, consumer groups, and other renewable energy sector affiliates. Renewable Northwest offers a dynamic, challenging, and rewarding workplace where staff collaborates with members and allies to move the Northwest away from fossil fuels toward a clean energy future. Employees hold individual responsibility for respective focus areas but are well supported by fellow staff who collaborate closely across policy, regulatory, and industry sectors.
STATEMENT OF INCLUSION
Renewable Northwest values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position, including people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, people with lived experience, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Renewable Northwest is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent Renewable Northwest on issues related to Offshore Wind in state legislatures, regulatory processes and regional coalitions promoting an equitable and sustainable supply chain and workforce.
- Interact with federal, state and local governments, tribes and other coalition partners.
- Develop, analyze and critique utility, state and regional renewable energy policy proposals.
- Oversee technical consultants evaluating economic benefits, environmental impacts and benefits, community impacts and benefits and other analyses.
- Support Renewable Northwest in legislative, regulatory and utility proceedings in Oregon and throughout the Northwest as required.
- Coordinate with contract lobbyists and other consultants to inform policymakers of the organization’s position on policy proposals and provide education on the barriers to and benefits of renewable energy.
- Coordinate and conduct briefings for Renewable Northwest members and allies.
- Coordinate with member organizations and other allies to develop policy proposals and mobilize greater support for renewable energy policies.
- Develop trust and maintain relationships with decision-makers, the broader environmental community, community-based organizations, and other key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with and support Renewable Northwest staff on issues such as renewable energy policy, renewable energy standards, integrated resource planning, and climate change.
- General knowledge of energy policy, offshore wind, the utility regulatory process, and land use principles.
- Combination of college level coursework and/or 3-5 years relevant professional experience in clean energy, public policy and advocacy. Relevant experience includes (but is not limited to) work in utility, political, research institute, renewable development, policy, legal or government settings.
- Passionate and productive work ethic.
- Stellar writing, editing and public speaking skills.
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently and strategically while advancing cohesive overarching strategy, within tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Apps (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Gmail)
- Experience working in a non-profit setting with a mission-driven staff and board.
- Interest and experience in coalition led campaigns is a plus.
COMPENSATION AND AMENITIES
- Salary range: $80,000 - 100,000
Renewable Northwest offers a very comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Option to work in Portland, OR headquarters or remotely in Oregon or Washington
- Complete coverage of premiums for medical, vision and dental for employee and family members
- Unlimited PTO after 1 year of employment
- Paid family medical leave
- Paid day of service
- Flexible work schedule
- Employer contribution equal to 5% of salary to a SEP/IRA retirement account
Submit the following materials in PDF format
List of three references (include: name, title, relationship to applicant, contact info)
Writing sample, preferably relevant to the job description
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.