Lightsource bp is a global leader in the development and management of solar energy projects. We are a 50:50 joint venture with bp with a mission to help drive the world’s transition to low carbon energy.
With solar set to increase tenfold in the next 20 years, we are well-positioned to capitalize on this growth. By joining the Lightsource bp team, you will ‘be the change’ on the world’s energy transition to a more sustainable future.
We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit as we continue to push the boundaries of an ever-changing energy landscape. By choosing a career with us, you can expect a challenging and fulfilling role surrounded by people who are passionate and have brilliant ideas about sustainable technology, innovation and making the world a better place.
What You’ll do
Support the Director, Operations and Compliance in delivering operational excellence across the business. Build a strong culture and record of safety and compliance. Serve as an Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Subject Matter Expert and work collaboratively and cross functionally on O&M related Asset Management workstreams.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Create and maintain a safe working environment by ensuring all activities and tasks are performed safely and in accordance with LSbp procedures.
• Lead O&M Requests for Proposal (RFP’s) and manage all aspects of O&M contracting.
• Ensure that quality electronic communication is established, well documented, and maintained at each facility.
• Ensure that preventive maintenance schedules are developed and implemented based on component warranty requirements and electrical best practices.
• Ensure compliance with all contracts including Interconnection Agreement (IA), Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) and O&M contracts to protect the long-term interests of the company.
• Streamline and organize across multiple projects by creating standard operating procedures, where possible.
• Support North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Generator Owner (GO)/ Generator Operator (GOP) compliance onboarding.
• Work with O&M providers to document and implement availability forecasting and outage notifications procedures in compliance with NERC requirements, Regional Transmission Organization (RTO)/ Independent System Operator (ISO) protocols, Interconnection and Offtake agreements.
• Ensure that substation de-energization, lock out tag out (LOTO) and re-energization procedures are developed, documented, reviewed and approved.
• Ensure compliance with operational elements of NERC and RTO compliance, such as Winter and Summer Weatherization Checklists and Readiness Attestations.
• Implement spare parts storage Best Management Practices.
• Create construction to O&M transition checklists and manage onboarding of new projects into the operational fleet.
• Work closely with Construction team to ensure projects are functioning properly at handover of Care Custody and Control from Engineering and Procurement Construction (EPC) to O&M providers.
• Perform acceptance inspections on newly constructed Photo Voltaic (PV) plants, in conjunction with third party O&M provider site walkdowns.
• Manage and document transfer of Care Custody and Control from EPC providers to O&M providers.
• Analyze asset performance, repair times, and other key metrics to identify trends and form action plans to drive business wide efficiencies and continuous improvements and to reduce Operational Expenses (OPEX) spend.
• Execute improvement initiatives and optimize plant performance and plant operating efficiency while preserving warranties on plant equipment.
• Lead investigations of plant outages, Direct Current (DC) underperformance, and other unexpected plant and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) behavior.
• Create detailed documentation of equipment replaced or repaired under warranty.
• Develop vegetation management and biodiversity implementation and management expertise
• Ensure compliance with site environmental regulations pertaining to hazardous waste, oil spill prevention, avian studies, and wildlife conservation
• Conduct periodic performance reviews and audits of third-party O&M providers
Who we’re looking for
• Solution oriented.
• Ability to multi-task in support of cross functional requirements while diligently meeting required timelines.
• Ability to assess, troubleshoot, implement, and communicate lessons learned. Sound knowledge of solar SCADA, generation and transmission system fundamentals, as well as AC/DC wiring, electrical codes, etc.
• Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, business/management, or technical field.
• Microsoft Office Suite skills.
• Knowledge of profit and loss accounting, as well as of basic financial principles such as Internal Rate of Return (IRR), Net Present Value (NPV), Accelerated Depreciation, etc.
• Previous managerial experience in an operations role required.
• High level of technical knowledge within the engineering field, a comprehensive understanding of the characteristics, design and scope of large-scale ground mounted solar systems
• Project management skills an advantage
Why you’ll make a great member of the team
• Ability to organize workload and priorities to maximum effect for both yourself and the wider team
• Self-starter able to work under limited direction / supervision
• Flexible approach in a fast-paced business which is constantly changing, and to keep a clear head under pressure
• Keen problem solver who can focus on appropriate detail when solving problems and propose effective solutions
• Set high standards of performance for yourself
• Ability to pick up systems and processes quickly
• Willingness to take on a variety of transactional duties
• Previous demonstrable experience where excellent attention to detail is critically important
Why you’ll want to work for us
Our company is a place where you can be yourself and grow – a place where your ideas and opinions matter.
Be you: We pride ourselves on being an inclusive community, where every individual is valued and treated with respect.
Be responsible: Our culture is driven by our core values. From operating safely to ensuring our solar projects are responsible and promote biodiversity.
Be recognized: Alongside a competitive salary, we offer a variety of benefits including annual bonus, retention bank, health insurance, pension, and other local benefits.
Be inspired: Join an agile, international team working across 15 countries to power the future and positively impact people, communities, ecosystems and biodiversity across the world.
Our core values: Lightsource bp truly cares about creating a sustainable future through safe, responsible and meaningful low-carbon energy projects. Our core values of Safety, Integrity, Respect, Sustainability and Drive are the guiding principles for everything we do.
• US team members are entitled to medical benefits, life insurance, dental benefits, vision benefits and short- and long-term disability benefits.
• Lightsource bp offers US team members immediate eligibility for a 401(k) plan, with a 3% nonelective employer contribution.
• Our team members are eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, calculated based on corporate, team and individual objectives. Team members in the US may receive an additional 50% of their annual bonus in a “retention bank” as well, available for withdrawal after three years of bonus awards have accrued.
• Lightsource bp currently observes the following 11 holidays in the US: New Years Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
• US team members accrue 20 days of vacation and 15 days of sick leave annually. All team members are also eligible for COVID-19 leave.
• Team members in the US enjoy a hybrid work environment.
• US team members receive a monthly personal phone bill reimbursement of up to $100 and a monthly commuter benefit of up to $150. Team members also receive one-time wellness and remote work allowances.
Lightsource bp is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.