At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong, Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Virginia, BWXT is a Fortune 1000 and Defense News Top 100 manufacturing and engineering innovator that provides safe and effective nuclear solutions for global security, clean energy, environmental remediation, nuclear medicine and space exploration. With approximately 7,000 employees, BWXT has 14 major operating sites in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. In addition, BWXT joint ventures provide management and operations at more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. Follow us on Twitter at @BWXT and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
BWXT is seeking an Operations Unit Manager to join our team in Mount Vernon, IN!
- Fosters a safe, organized, and respectful work environment.
- Promotes a total quality work ethic and environment across the organization.
- Holds overall responsibility for the safe fabrication of assigned high consequence product line.
- Manages and oversees daily fabrication progress to quality, schedule, and cost expectations.
- Demonstrates a commitment to business objectives and metrics. Creatively evaluate means for improvement and sustainment of business objectives.
- Lead and participate in initiatives to drive improvement of business objectives.
- Manages direct and indirect reports:
- Encourages a questioning attitude to ensure a safe work environment and the highest quality standards.
- Clearly communicates job expectations and performance requirements.
- Manages employee performance through the evaluation of expectations and objectives, including safe working practices, quality of work, compliance to procedures, and completion of deliverables.
- Coaches employees on unacceptable performance.
- Manages employee attendance and expense records through electronic systems.
- Supports front line managers in their leadership development and management of the shop floor.
- Encourages growth and development in training and continuous education of team members.
- Maintains and monitors training requirements for goal realization.
- Maintains training records.
- Maintain an outlook for future growth opportunities throughout the team.
- Collaborates and coordinates with cross-functional teams to minimize disruption to production.
- Participates in safety and quality critiques. Completes corrective actions and takes an active role in fostering a learning organization.
- Develops strategies to drive and maintain Lean Manufacturing initiatives and continuous process improvement goals.
- Actively participate in annual goal setting process and drive performance expectations.
- Develops man-hour estimates as needed to support contract proposals.
- Supports development and management of cost center budget.
- Leads or participates in special projects as assigned.
- Leads or participates in teams to recruit and hire through community interaction.
- Leads and participates in special site based teams for improvement initiatives.
- Supports and promotes Lean and 5S activities through the facility.
- Manages priority requirements of the site as needed to ensure work is performed to satisfy the needs of all departments not only the ones with direct responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate professionally and effectively at any level within the organization.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one, small, and large group situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with both internal and external customers.
- Must be a U.S. citizen with no dual citizenship.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) clearance.
- 5 or more years of operations, engineering, supervisory experience in nuclear or heavy manufacturing environment.
- An ABET accredited engineering degree is preferred.
- Experience with design, fabrication and construction of nuclear components is preferred.
- Cross-functional experience in multiple disciplines such as engineering, manufacturing, quality, project management desired.
- Lean Six Sigma certification desired.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. Citizenship (with no dual citizenship) and ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status.