Appalachian Voices is a nonprofit advocacy organization that brings people together to protect the land, air, and water of Central and Southern Appalachia and advance a just transition to a clean energy economy. We currently have over 40 full-time staff members across the region, and offices located in Boone, NC, Charlottesville, VA, and Norton, VA.
Commitment to Equity
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We understand people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the position details and responsibilities listed. If you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill many of the requirements of this role, we encourage you to apply. We may tailor the role to a talented or passionate candidate.
The part-time Bookkeeper is responsible for processing accounts payable and payroll in our NetSuite accounting system. Reporting to the Senior Accountant, the successful candidate will utilize their bookkeeping experience to support accurate and timely payroll and month end close.
Location & Hours
This position can be offered as a fully remote position, or as a remote/in-office hybrid role based from one of our three primary offices. Candidates located in or near the Appalachian region are preferred. The part-time Bookkeeper position will require 10-20 hours of work per week, with a flexible schedule to be agreed upon between the candidate and the supervisor. Start date as soon as possible.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities
- Payroll: Review employee timesheets submitted in the NetSuite accounting system and secure any missing timesheets. Process payroll and enter any necessary journal entries.
- Accounts Payable: Enter invoices timely and process employee expense reports, ensuring that the proper program, grant and other segments are selected, and that backup documentation is attached.
- Other Support Functions: Assist the Senior Accountant with other accounting functions such as internal and grant reporting.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in any finance, accounting or related business fields, or Bachelor’s degree in another field with strong equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in bookkeeping, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Experience working in either NetSuite (preferred), Intacct, or Financial Edge required.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Team player with the ability to effectively communicate across multiple departments with team members of varying backgrounds.
- Proficiency with Microsoft and/or Google office software, including spreadsheet applications.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, and diligence, with respect to internal security and controls.
This is an hourly, non-exempt position and is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit; specific terms and conditions of employment may be subject to a future Collective Bargaining Agreement. Appalachian Voices offers part-time employees paid vacation and sick leave at the appropriate proportion of the full-time rate and eligibility for the company’s retirement plan with up to a 3% matching contribution.
Salary is commensurate with experience, however, the expected salary range is between $27.00/hour and $33.00/hour. We are open to feedback from the market and would welcome the opportunity to connect with candidates who may be outside of the compensation band, however candidates seeking higher than this range should be able to demonstrate a very strong background and meet all of the qualifications listed above. Appalachian Voices is committed to equity in pay practices.
How to Apply
We are eager to fill this position as soon as possible, and applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until this position is filled. Using this link, please submit a resume and a brief cover letter that addresses why you are interested in this role and why you would be a good fit for the position.
Appalachian Voices participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. This position also requires a standard background check prior to employment.