PERFORMANCE ENGINEER - SOLAR
Growing solar company needs an experienced Performance Engineer with 5+ years’ experience in utility scale performance engineering. Required extensive modeling experience with PVsyst, a strong understanding of all inputs required for generating P50 energy estimates and of PV plant construction and operation.
- generating accurate models for predicting solar PV energy production for utility scale plants
- conducting detailed engineering analysis
- plant commissioning and capacity testing
Reports to: Manager of Performance and Optimization.
Location: Houston (Preferred) Hybrid (May consider fully remote for strong candidate – but occasional travel to Houston will be required)
Salary: $110,000 - $130,000 with Bonus Potential of 10%
- Provide assistance in PV performance modeling utilizing PVSYST and other software tools, to aid business development, development engineering, project finance, and asset management teams in assessing new or existing solar facilities for internal and external purposes.
- Manage EPCs on all matters pertaining to plant performance and modeling to advance projects through construction and into operation
- Optimize projects to maximize returns, coordinating with Finance, Business Development, and Engineering Departments
- Conduct detailed weather resource assessments of satellite and ground-measured data.
- Collect data, validate inputs, and create soiling/snow models in diverse climates and regions.
- Examine project data and simulation results, understand and quantify PV plant uncertainty, generate high-quality reports that support project model assumptions and expected production.
- Coordinate with internal and external groups to optimize PV plant design in development and in pre-construction to support design and business decisions.
- Evaluate site conditions, terrain conditions, and utilize CAD files to validate plant design and generate 3D shade models.
- Coordinate with internal and external engineering and construction teams on project substantial completion testing, including solar plant commissioning and capacity testing per ASTM 2848 standards.
- Analyze SCADA output to validate performance and identify underperformance or operational issues.
- Assist with construction phase commissioning evaluation and plant performance during construction and through the operations and maintenance phase.
- Understand and stay current on the latest advancements and industry standards in performance modeling and contribute to the development of new methods/tools as needed using Excel VBA, python, or other applicable engineering tools.
- Understand and stay current the latest advancements and changes to major equipment: PV modules, inverters, trackers.
- Provide support in addressing technical issues and resolving disagreements with counterparties.
- Prepare reports and presentations to communicate performance analysis results, recommendations, and performance improvement initiatives.
- A degree in Electrical Engineering (preferred), Mechanical Engineering, or another related technical field
- Relevant work experience in PV Solar Plant energy modelling
- Proficiency with photovoltaic performance modeling tools such as PVsyst, PVcase, CAD modeling, 8760 energy calculation, and near shading analysis.
- Excellent technical, analytical, computer, oral and written communication skills. Strong in Microsoft Office Suite, advanced knowledge of MS Excel.
- Experience with programming languages like Python, Java, and others a plus.
- Understanding of photovoltaic operation and different module technologies.
- Working knowledge of both DC and three-phase AC electrical system engineering.
- Previous experience in energy simulation of utility scale PV and/or battery energy storage systems a plus.
- Ability to work well independently with minimal supervision, as a team, and occasionally under pressure with short deadlines.
- Excellent organization skills and able to shift and set new priorities in moment’s notice.
- Self-motivated, high energy, and has proven leadership skills in challenging environment.
- Advanced understanding of PV modules, the types of modules and chemistries – c-Si, CdTe, mono-PERC, TOPCon, and others.
- Understanding of solar tracker operation, differences between different OEMs, and the impact to production modeling from various factors.
- Battery storage modeling and/or design.
- Experience with PV O&M, conducting plant or fleet performance analyses for operational plants.
- Professional experience with solar modeling and optimization tools such as SIFT or Plant Predict.
Send resume to; firstname.lastname@example.org