The Principal Systems Engineer is responsible for participating in the research, design and development of test instrumentation for the electric power generation, transmission and distribution industry. This person will be responsible for evaluating architectural choices based on product requirements and ensuring that the architecture works across hardware, firmware and software components. The Principal Systems Engineer must be able to participate in a team environment, while managing their own assigned responsibilities. Responsibilities also include providing system-level architectural leadership to a small team of engineers and participating in the selection and definition of hardware and software architectures for future products.
The ideal candidate would be someone that has past experience with hardware design and/or FPGA programming and currently working in the embedded real-time, multi-processor environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Help evaluate new technologies and leverage those into product architectures resulting in the implementation of requested product functions.
- Innovate new product features based on your ability to realize product from technical possibilities.
- Provide technical leadership in the realm of system design.
- Design, develop, test and document firmware components and applications.
- Design, Develop and Test embedded real-time, multi-processor systems.
- Work with engineering project teams to provide architectural technical leadership.
- Lead technical requirements gathering, estimating, and planning efforts.
- Leverage internal component reusability and open source solutions to improve time to market.
- Develop products to promote the ease of implementing automated test suites (Nice-to-have).
- Develop clear metrics for testing status and progress monitoring dashboards.
- 10+ years of work experience in firmware and software development.
- 2+ years of work experience in a technical leadership role.
- Ability to quickly prototype new concepts and ideas.
- Ability to provide creativity while solving complex problems without known solutions.
- Familiarity and experience working with Matlab, Linux, and scripting languages.
- Knowledge of PC based applications.
- Knowledge of FPGA programming.
- Knowledge of hardware design Familiar with message bus technologies and implementations.
- Team communication and collaboration experience (Such as a wiki).
- Ability to assess new technologies via comprehensive reviews.
- Experience working with hardware teams to isolate failure causes.
- Proven track record of proactively working with the development and QA stakeholders.
- Strong technical capabilities of a developer combined with a passion for assuring product quality.
- DSP FPGA/CPLD implementations.
- Project management skills, including planning, estimation and requirements management.
- Expert level skills in one or more scripting languages such as TCL, Python and Perl.
- Experience with embedded and host applications developed in C, C++, C# and .NET