Job Title: Product Registration Specialist
Division: Regulatory & Environmental Affairs Division
Headquarters: Guthrie Agricultural Center
FLSA Status: TemporaryNature of Work:
An employee in this class performs some of the duties of a professional in a supportive role, assuming responsibility for administrative detail requiring a close relationship to the day to day work of the supervisor. The work of the position deals primarily with the registration and renewal of feed, fertilizer, lime and seed. The employee works with a fair degree of independence and receives a minimum of detailed supervision and guidance.Examples of Work Performed:
- Confers and corresponds with interested parties requesting assistance, instruction or interpretation of applicable laws and regulations pertaining to registration, label reviews and/or tonnage-reporting of animal feeds, commercial fertilizers, and liming materials, and soil amendments.
- Utilizing Microsoft Access computer programs, maintains accurate and current databases of all companies (animal feed, fertilizer, soil amendments and agricultural lime) and their products registered for sale within the boundaries of the State of West Virginia.
- Utilizing Microsoft Access computer programs, maintains fertilizer and lime tonnage reporting.
- Oversees the WVDA product registrations of companies selling fertilizer, soil amendments and agricultural lime within the boundaries of the state.
- Reviews product labels and determines acceptability for fertilizers, soil amendments and liming materials.
- All registrations and correspondence with Fertilizer Formulators.
- Reconciliation of daily revenue reports.
- Performs necessary clerical work, including maintenance of the applicable computer systems for the program, for the all duties as outlined above.
- Assists in drafting of laws and regulations as needed for regulating agricultural products.
- Attends conferences with or without a supervisor in order to keep abreast of new technologies and/or assist with the implementation of new program procedures.
- Performs related work as required or as guided by the division.
- Other duties as assigned.
Sitting, standing, walking, and operating a computer and other office equipment.Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements:Training:
- Knowledge of the functions and objectives of the Department.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations pertaining to the program area.
- Ability to maintain detailed records according to a prescribed format.
- Ability to deal with the public in an effective and courteous manner, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, other organizations, and the general public.
- Ability to analyze operational procedures and prepare reports of findings and recommendations for modifications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Knowledge of computers and software including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Access)
- Ability to operate data processing and word processing programs.
- Knowledge of animal nutrition, lime and fertilizer land application and soil amendments is useful.
High school diploma or equivalent.Experience:
Two years of full-time paid employment in office clerical work, one of which must have included complex or administrative duties.Substitution
: A degree obtained from an accredited four-year college or university may be substituted for the experience requirement.
This description is subject to review and revision at the discretion of the Commissioner and designees.
West Virginia Department of Agriculture is an equal opportunity employer.