The Program Officer, Net Zero Climate Services would support the Director, Net Zero to help clients achieve their climate mitigation strategies. The Program Officer would interact with clients; support proposal ideation and writing; conduct qualitative technical analysis, perform quantitative problem-solving, and collect and analyze quantitative data. The Program Officer would serve as a leader of a workstream or moderately-sized project as needed and be exposed to growing opportunities for project and program management positions.
This position may be based remotely within the United States but expected to work East Coast hours (EST).
Supports the Director, Net Zero to help clients achieve their climate mitigation strategies with a focus on deep decarbonization of a companies’ value chain emissions (Scopes 1, 2, and 3). Potential responsibilities are likely to include:
- Interacting with clients and providing excellent client service, primarily in presenting updates or deliverables and conducting research to confidently answer client questions.
- Preparing presentations, reports, memoranda, and other communication materials.
- Translating technical topics into terms that are meaningful to more general audiences.
- Completing tasks in fast-paced and self-motivated environment in a timely and efficient manner.
- Conducting desk research on climate mitigation and carbon market trends as well as potential partners and clients
- Supporting proposal and workplan development.
- Performing basic to intermediate calculations using greenhouse gas and economic activity data.
- Writing reports for technical and general audiences.
- Overseeing and leading workstreams, ensuring completion on time and within budget to client’s satisfaction.
- Working with small teams to prepare high-quality products, pitching in wherever necessary and providing guidance and leadership.
- Serving as a leader of a workstream or moderately-sized project as needed as a task lead with growing opportunities for project and program management positions.
Skills and Requirements:
Having many of the following skills:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience: Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience
- Fast learner, curious, a passion for uncovering and creating solutions to climate and sustainability problems.
- Strong customer/client service orientation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required, including effective public speaking and the ability to communicate complex issues both verbally and in written form
- Team player capable of adapting to ambiguous environments with cross-group collaboration and problem-solving abilities.
- Experience with supply chain management or procurement
- Industry/sector understanding of the GHG profiles and potential mitigation strategies for one or more of the following commodities:
- Fish and Seafood; Hazelnuts; Beef; Poultry and Eggs ; Pulp and Paper ; Packaging (pulp/paper, glass, metals) ; Vegetable Fats & Oils ;Vegetable & Horticulture ; Spices ;Cereals & Grains ;Cocoa ;Coconut ;Soybeans ;Animal By-Products ;Energy (oil and gas and/or electricity)
- Certification for project management or demonstrated experience with managing or serving as a project coordinator
- Working understanding or experience with preparing submissions or reporting against key climate corporate leadership standards (e.g. GHG Protocol, ISSB, TCFD, GRI (emissions), Science-Based Targets Initiative’s standards, the Value Change Initiative).
- Experience with developing Life-cycle assessments (LCA) and Environmental Product Declarations (EPD)
- Understanding of carbon quantification methodologies (e.g. for carbon credits/offset credits), carbon credit or other sustainability product certification standards, carbon credit project development, monitoring reporting and verification of GHG emissions impact.
- Experience using ARC/GIS, data analysis software, Excel (basic to intermediate skill in storing, presenting, processing and analyzing data)
Language: Fluent in English, fluency in another language is a plus.
Travel: Ability to travel internationally and domestically required
- Typical office environment with continual sitting or standing required.
- Must be authorized to work within the United States.
Winrock offers competitive pay and an excellent benefits package.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. Winrock recruits, employs, trains, promotes and compensates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.
At Winrock we have a clear mission: Empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity and sustain natural resources through unwavering dedication to accountability, equity, innovation, integrity and transformation.
Winrock knows that its success comes from the hard work and steadfast dedication of its diverse workforce. Winrock remains committed to maintaining diversity, inclusion and equity across the entire organization