About Great Lakes Ace Hardware
Great Lakes Ace is a chain of 66 neighborhood hardware stores operating in the Midwest and is one of the largest chain of Ace Hardware stores in the country. We have 1200+ associates united by our Vision to Improve Lives & Communities and our Mission to Go Above & Beyond to Serve. We are inspired to build a culture of service throughout the organization that is the bedrock of our daily operations that align with GLA’s Core Values – Make It Better, Know Your Neighbor, Go Above & Beyond and Love My Great Lakes Ace.
We are seeking a Real Estate Paralegal who is passionate about retail. This role is based out of our Support Center (Corporate Office) located in Farmington Hills, MI.
General Job Summary
The Real Estate Paralegal position is responsible for monitoring and managing the Company’s lease portfolio. This includes discussions and negotiations with landlords and their agents, collaborating on contractual amendments and negotiating contract terms and conditions, abstracting leases and related agreements, working with internal customers to interpret contractual requirements, and managing the lease database.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review retail store leases with ability to abstract and summarize key lease terms into database.
- Administer Estoppels & SNDA’s.
- Monitor and track lease renewals.
- Monitor and manage lease payments (Rent Roll and annual reconciliations, default issues).
- Research lease obligations (R&M, Notice, Consents, Compliance).
- Investigate and follow-through on lease defaults and issues.
- Communicate with landlords on various issues.
- Negotiate lease contract terms.
- Assist with drafting of new leases and amendments.
- Coordinate with internal departments on lease issues (Accounting, Facilities, Real Estate, Legal)
- Perform other related duties and special projects as assigned.
Minimum Skills, Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, business law, or a related field of study.
- Experience in commercial leases and real estate contracts.
- Three to four years of experience in contract analysis preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of local, state and national contract laws.
- Exceptional communication, drafting and interpretation skills.
- Experience with lease database management preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic business environment.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Analytical thinker, team player, customer-focused, business minded.
- Strong software skills including Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Minimal travel as required.
- Standing, walking, lifting (up to 25 lbs.) and climbing.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Great Lakes Ace Hardware is committed to a policy of promoting equal employment opportunities. The company recognizes the importance of diversity and leveraging the skills and talents of all people to the mutual advantage of each individual and the organization. The company is committed to the prevention of employment discrimination related to race, religion, color, sex (including sexual harassment), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability and military or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other action covered by federal or applicable state/local laws.