Renewable Energy (Solar/BESS) Technician
Spark Power is a leading independent power solutions provider to the electrical service industry across North America. Our BESS Technician will assist in working on utility-scale solar farms that consist of dealing with Samsung batteries, commissioning, troubleshooting, and performing electrical repairs. We deliver technical solutions that help our customers transition to the grid of the future – Renewable Energy.
The Renewable Energy Technician will travel to job sites around the United States and help build and maintain solar and battery storage infrastructures. The technician must be competent and qualified to work on electrical and/or mechanical components of Renewable Energy assets.
We are excited to provide careers in Renewables and are committed to being the best employer possible. Our product is our people!
What you’ll be doing as a Renewables (Solar) Technician:
- Working on a multitude of solar/battery systems, may include Samsung
- Implementing firmware updates
- Module Replacement
- Hot/Cold Commissioning
- Charging/Discharging Samsung batteries
- Follow all Health and Safety policies to maintain a zero-incident workplace
- Complete routine safety documentation before every job including tailgate meetings, electrical work permits, etc.
- Technical troubleshooting & preventative maintenance activities to maximize performance/production
- Energization/de-energization procedures
- Follow & implement LOTO plans & procedures
- Interpret schematics and blueprints
- Quality assurance checklists and inspections to document deficiencies and identify corrective actions needed
- Follow OEM specific maintenance requirements in addition to company standards and industry best practices i.e. NETA MTS, CSA Z463, etc.
- Daily digital reporting and documentation of all work performed
- Work in a team-based environment and independently whereas necessary
- Participation in on-call weekend services on a rotating schedule
- Identify and provide feedback to issues and ongoing development of projects
- Willing to work overtime as needed
Do you have the Spark? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- High school diploma or equivalent is required
- Post-secondary education with an electrical or mechanical base is an asset
- Experience using BatteryMon
- Computer literate (Excel, Microsoft, PDF, Email, Downloading/Uploading)
- ABET/EAC certification will be considered an asset
- State certified Journeyman license an asset
- Working at Heights Training, OSHA training and/or certification are assets
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic and a willingness to learn
- Digital literacy (proficiency with mobile apps and various software: Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Report writing)
- Attention to detail
- Firm commitment to safety and ability to always follow defined safety processes and protocols. Commitment to ongoing safety training.
- Interest in renewable energy and sustainability
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC)
- Ability to work at heights with good ergonomics, work may take place on ladders, platforms, and cramped spaces with constant standing and kneeling
- Able to determine color codes
- Ability to work outdoors, in varying weather conditions and different geographic regions
- Valid Driver's License and clean driving record
- Ability to complete a drug test and background check if made an offer of employment
- Ability to travel throughout the US
Here are some of the perks Spark Power employees enjoy:
- Competitive hourly wages
- Generous daily per diem
- 40-Hour weekly minimum while on jobs (guaranteed hours!)
- 1.5X overtime after 40 Hours / week
- Fast-track growth opportunities
- A hands-on, positive Management Team that began as Technicians and have been promoted within their roles
- Positive and fun company culture. No one is 'just a number' at Spark.
- Benefits (health, vision, dental)
- Employee Share Ownership Program
- Company vehicles
- Monthly cell phone allowance
- All travel, training, workwear & PPE paid for
Who is Spark Power?
- We provide end-to-end electrical contracting, operations and maintenance services, and energy sustainability solutions to the industrial, commercial, utility, and renewable asset markets.
- We have over 1300 employees across 38 offices across North America.
- We have numerous exciting projects in commercial, industrial, and institutional sectors across Canada and the US.