**Senior Counsel - Environmental**
This position will provide legal support and advice to the Company on environmental law related to administrative, regulatory and litigation matters. Candidate must have expertise in one or more of the following substantive areas: the Clean Air Act (CAA), the Clean Water Act (CWA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), and state equivalents. Additional expertise in the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Endangered Species Act (ESA), historic preservation, coastal and wetland issues, is a plus.
Candidate must have a background in environmental law and possess exceptional judgment in analyzing statutes, regulations, permits, and case law, and providing sound advice on a broad range of matters. This position will collaborate with outside counsel and employees at all levels within the Company to provide advice and guidance.
· Effectively and efficiently analyze and address legal issues concerning environmental statutes and regulations.
· Work independently and without supervision to develop and implement legal strategies to identify and address legal risks.
· Clearly and concisely communicate legal risks to executive leadership.
· Manage pending and potential litigation.
· Manage and direct outside counsel handling administrative, regulatory and litigation related matters on behalf of the Company.
· Assist with management of the legal budget, including oversight and approval of outside counsel spend.
· Build constructive working relationships with internal business partners and outside legal counsel.
· Identify opportunities to improve legal processes and operations.
· Graduate of an American Bar Association accredited law school with at least an L.L.B. or J.D. degree.
· Licensed to practice law in one or more states in which the company or its subsidiaries operate.
· Minimum of 4 years of environmental law experience as in-house counsel, governmental agency, or private practice, including significant experience with one or more of the following statutes: CAA, CWA and RCRA.
· Experience with a variety of environmental matters including review of environmental provisions in contracts, managing environmental litigation or permitting matters, analyzing statutes and regulations, and providing legal advice related to environmental compliance.
· Knowledge of relevant utility statues, regulations, and guidance documents related to the business preferred.
· Ability to quickly assess risks and communicate complex information in a simple and timely manner.
· Ability to establish and build relationships with internal and external partners to maximize effectiveness.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines.
· Strong focus on inclusion, innovative thinking, practical solutions, and providing excellent customer service.
· High ethical standards and behaviors.
· Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
· Extensive analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Able to work autonomously on complex projects.
_This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities._
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the Company's promise to 2.6 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the Company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the Company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower), Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ga_power).
**Southern Company** (NYSE: SO ) is America's premier energy company, with **46,000 megawatts** of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving **9 million customers through its subsidiaries** . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through **electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications** . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual _World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility_ rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com .
**Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.**
**Job Field:** Legal & Compliance
**Job Type:** Standard
**Primary Location:** Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
**Operating Company:** Georgia Power Company
**Job Type:** Standard
**Travel (Up to...):** Yes, 25 % of the Time
Georgia Power Headquarters - 241 Ralph McGill Blvd. NE (241ATLANTA)
241 Ralph McGill Blvd. NE
**Req ID:** GPC2009688