The Senior Financial Analyst, Office of the Chief Scientist (OCS) will help develop, track, and analyze budgets and fundraising proposals; organize and present financial data for reporting and decision-making; and execute financial processes for the OCS team and their workstreams. This position organizes data, completes financial reports, reviews grants, contracts and subawards, performs financial analysis and projections, reconciles variances, and identifies and resolves any issues. The Senior Financial Analyst will pursue continuous improvement in reporting and processes used to monitor budgets and present moderately complex financial data for decision-making to both financial and non-financial audiences.
The Senior Financial Analyst will report to the Senior Financial Manager, OCS and will be a member of the Mission Finance team within the Enterprise Operations department, partnering with other Mission Finance, Finance, and Development staff. Working in EDF’s matrixed environment, the Senior Financial Analyst will ensure the production of timely, accurate, and insightful financial information for various stakeholders.
- Execute financial planning and reporting activities as well as lead day-to-day financial processes, including expense reclasses, invoicing, contract financial review, and as needed, updating forecasts on behalf of the OCS workstream.
- Submit purchase orders and invoices and ensure the proper coding of expense items for management approval, in collaboration with Operations Coordinators.
- Produce timely month-end reports of actual vs. budget results, ensuring accuracy and completeness and investigating, analyzing, and explaining variances from budget for income and expense line items.
- Participate in advancing EDF’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF’s values.
- Identify issues in budget management and work with workstream staff to correct.
- Prepare and facilitate fundraising proposal budgets and donor financial reports on awarded revenue.
- Update salary allocations in the budget system to reflect correct funding sources and make adjustments as necessary to budget and actuals.
- Prepare budgets and financial reports for various stakeholders, including Mission staff, internal management, finance staff, and senior operations leads.
- Manage one or more grants, including government grants, and their funds, as applicable.
- Assist in the development of department and workstream annual budget submissions.
- Participate in departmental meetings and trainings with both Enterprise Operations and OCS teams.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- 4+ years of relevant experience with a Bachelor’s in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting, or related field required. An advanced degree may substitute for 2 years of experience.
- Proven knowledge of budgeting, forecasting, and reporting required.
- Demonstrated familiarity of GAAP and thorough understanding of non-profit accounting principles and grants management required.
- Experience reporting to government grants, foundations, and private donors is preferred.
- Experience with NetSuite or other forecasting/budgeting reporting SAAS is preferred.
- Finance, grants, government funding, or fund accounting experience in a non-profit organization is strongly preferred.
- Ability to perform financial analysis and to create insight from a large-scale general ledger.
- Expertise in MS Office Suite, especially Excel, including advanced proficiency in developing formulas, pivot tables, charts and spreadsheets that clearly present data to facilitate decision-making by management.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to spot trends and ensure accuracy.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills with the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues, particularly communicating financial information to a broad audience with differing needs.
- Solid organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to multitask and be flexible under pressure with changing priorities and perform well in a fast-paced team environment.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work productively and independently as well as collaboratively with a team.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.