Horizon Resources is one of the largest and most successful cooperatives in North Dakota. Our roots go back to 1929 when Farmers Union Oil Company of Williston commenced business operations. Within a matter of months, the 110 original members grew to over 500 and continued to rise as the years passed. With our continued growth came a promise to be a leader in connecting customers to both resources and markets, for energy, agronomy, and grain, across multiple states and locations; not only today but for many years to come!
Horizon Resources is hiring a Senior Merchandiser for their Williston, ND team. Within this role, your main responsibility will be to originate agricultural commodity purchases from local producers to drive the expansion of the grain division and total cooperative by promoting our products and services.
Horizon Resources offers a competitive salary plus an extensive benefits package including PTO, Holiday Pay, Disability and Life Insurance, HSA- Health Savings Account, AFLAC, Health Insurance including Vision and Dental, 401K Retirement Plan with company match, and Defined Benefits Pension Plan.
Our Ideal Candidate is:
- Local, within commuting distance, or willing to relocate to Williston, North Dakota.
- Is an experienced leader having managed multiple direct reports.
- Personable, a team player, and a problem solver with a can-do attitude.
- Driven to continuously learn, to grow within the company, and eager for career advancement.
- Able to work on-site, Monday through Friday from 8 –5, and is willing to help as needed during harvest and peak seasons.
- Prospect for new growers in Horizon Resources’ trade territory and maintain relationships with established customers.
- Help facilitate the growth of our trucking program direct from farm to elevator.
- Provide customers with market insight, risk management, and logistics support.
- Create trading plans, and place and disperse bids for farmers.
- Coordinate movement, receiving, grading, loading, and storage of ag commodities among elevator facilities.
- Manage and delegate tasks to employees across multiple locations.
- Understand, follow, and enforce safety protocols.
- Collaborate with operations teams on safety programs, facility maintenance, and inventory management.
- Work closely with the accounting staff, location managers, logistics companies, and Grain Division Manager.
- Reports to the Grain Division Manager and COO.
- Bachelor's degree in business or agriculture, with a minimum of five (5) years of commodity marketing, origination, or sales experience in the agricultural sector.
- Experience with or clear understanding of the commodities Horizon Resources currently handles- durum, spring wheat, winter wheat, canola, field peas, and feed barley. Knows grain terminal and shuttle operations.
- Ability to identify and manage risk, anticipate demand, and changes in buying patterns. Knowledge of hedging strategies and futures contracts.
- Expert user of Microsoft Excel, grain accounting systems, sales tracking, and other industry computer programs, with the ability to calculate freight spreads and identify arbitrage opportunities.