Healthy oceans are the lifeblood of our planet. But they're in peril - from climate change, overfishing, habitat destruction and other threats. That's why EDF's Fisheries & Oceans program is working to safeguard the oceans and protect nature while feeding the planet, creating more secure livelihoods, and bolstering more equitable societies for human well-being. One of the greatest threats to the oceans is overfishing, which is why our dedicated team of scientists, economists, and fishery management experts are collaborating with partners around the globe to make sustainable fishing the norm. Through our programs in the U.S., Latin America, and Asia Pacific, we draw on strong science and economic principles to advance sustainable fishing practices, forward-looking policies and innovative tools that support the health of our oceans and the people who depend on them for food and their livelihoods.
The Senior Manager, Indonesia Fisheries & Oceans is responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of the EDF Indonesia fisheries management strategies and projects in the field, including current projects in Lampung Province, West Java Province, and Kaimana of West Papua Province. The Senior Manager will represent EDF Indonesia with stakeholders across the country and contribute our specialized fisheries expertise to help local stakeholders design and implement sustainable fisheries management plans that benefit communities, marine resources and ecosystems alike. The Senior Manager will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia and report to the Senior Director, Indonesia Fisheries & Oceans.
- Oversee the development and implementation of site-based conservation program strategy that sustains long-term impacts of the management results far beyond the EDF sites presence by building capacity of local partners to assume more proactive roles in protecting and sustainably using fisheries resources nearby their areas.
- Provide technical support to the field program teams and proactively identify support needed and/or problems including potential bottleneck in program implementation in the field and recommend and execute on solutions to address them in a timely manner.
- Develop innovative solutions with partners to manage the fisheries sustainably, including implementing innovative fisheries management strategies such as catch shares that includes both quota- and area-based fisheries managements.
- Ensure the timely coordination and development of the site-program workplans and budgeting, support site-project management by tracking progress against the workplans and budgets.
- Lead and coordinate the development of site program reports to donors and internal EDF, and document and/or publish field projects lessons learned.
- Develop and expand collaboration and partnership with stakeholders and relevant partners to ensure broader support for the successful program implementation on the ground.
- Act as liaison for EDF Indonesia with other EDF country teams to share lessons learned and identify opportunities for collaboration to implement innovative solutions to advance our goals.
- Participate in new and on-going internal EDF trainings and mentoring activities to increase knowledge and skills of fisheries science, management, food systems, and integrated solutions.
- Participate in advancing EDF diversity, equity, and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor's degree in fisheries management and/or coastal and marine resource management with a minimum of 8 years of related professional experience or advanced degree with a minimum of 6 years related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, coordinate and work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders in professional and field settings.
- Demonstrated professional experience in guiding large-scale group of stakeholders and projects including strategic planning, communications, project implementation and results.
- Experience in using and maintaining project management tools, contributing project budgeting and proposal development.
- Ability to learn and apply EDF’s outreach scientific, technical and policy tools to analyze, understand challenges and develop fishery management solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision, meet deadlines, and produce high-quality results.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, tasks, priorities, and deadlines concurrently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively with colleagues located in multiple offices and time zones.
- Proficiency in the use of PCs and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
- Excellent communications in Bahasa Indonesia and English, and ability to communicate with local stakeholders.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.