NRDC is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our people helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our team of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and the globe from our offices in Beijing; Bozeman, Montana; Chicago; New Delhi; New York; San Francisco; Santa Monica; and Washington, D.C.
Reporting to the Controller, the Finance Systems Analyst will be responsible for implementing Microsoft Dynamics Business Central within the next two years. Specifically, this individual will be charged with helping leadership to make key decisions on system design, features, and segmentation with respect to the financial accounting system. Additionally, this role will act as an intermediary between key project stakeholders and the external Microsoft implementation partner. The role will also be responsible for creating process documentation, user guides and training materials, and leading user training sessions as needed.
In addition to responsibilities related to the financial accounting system implementation, the role will also serve as the Finance Team's primary point of contact for other NRDC departments, and for external software vendors. In the longer term following the system implementation, the role will be charged with maintaining data integrations, organizational segmentation updates, system administration, and technical projects
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the following essential functions:
What You'll Do
- Lead implementation of financial software systems and act as a thought partner for senior leadership when building robust and integrated cloud-based solutions for the organization
- Partner with leaders across the organization to leverage systems and technical tools to create and provide comprehensive data analysis and reporting capabilities.
- Serve as primary point of escalation between the Accounting & Finance department and other teams. This includes, but is not limited to, software vendors, contracted implementation teams, external consultants, internal NRDC IT Team, etc.
- Facilitate end-user training on all financial systems including Microsoft Dynamics Business Central, Power BI, Paramount Workplace, and Concur for key stakeholders across the organization.
- Coordinate the design and creation of interactive dashboards, KPIs, and ad hoc reports in Power BI, Microsoft Excel and other relevant systems.
- Develop system and process documentation, manage integrations, test new system enhancements, and troubleshoot technical issues as required.
- Maintain and improve processes and workflows to ensure finance systems have proper data integrity, internal controls, and security protocols. This includes managing routine system maintenance to support organizational growth and change.
The above list of duties is not comprehensive but generally demonstrates the types of matters under this position’s responsibility. Other duties may be assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant IT field or proven experience or certification is required
- Additional education in finance, accounting, or business administration is a plus
- 5 years’ experience in a finance system analyst or system administrator role
- 3 years’ experience with technical project management
- Prior experience implementing a financial accounting system required (prior implementation of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central is a plus)
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Functional Consultant certification strongly preferred.
- Experience with Power BI data sets, reports, dashboards, and data-visualization tools.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel technical proficiencies - Macros, Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, and ability to concatenate formulas to produce dynamic calculations.
- Extensive experience managing system integrations is required (prior experience in managing system implementations with any of these is considered a plus: Dynamics BC, Salesforce, Concur, Adaptive Insights, or Paramount Workplace)
Skills, Abilities, Competencies
- Ability to connect and build strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong collaborating skills and the ability to work across cultures and communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Keen analytic, organizational, and problem-solving skills to help guide Accounting & Finance team leaders in decision making with respect to systems design and use.
- Strong communication skills and ability to develop memos and presentations on project progress, milestones, and impact of delays (if any), etc.
- Ability to approach challenges by investigating root causes, research potential solutions, and effectively communicate best options to solving to Accounting & Finance leaders.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming diverse voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with skills and experience. Internal equity will be reviewed and considered to determine a final offer. For this position, the salary range is $131,000 to $150,000.
Our offices are open and we are operating in a hybrid model. We offer NRDCers flexibility, and we ask them to come into the office and spend meaningful time there in collaboration with their colleagues. We call this purposeful presence.
As a science-based organization, NRDC aims to do our part to help contain the COVID-19 public health crisis. For the sake of health, safety, and equity, we ask that people be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation or other exemption in accordance with state and local law. We consider a person to be vaccinated two weeks after receiving one full course of a CDC-approved vaccine. In accordance with state or local law, new hires will be asked to attest to vaccination, those wishing to do so may request medical or religious accommodations or other exemptions via NRDC Employee Relations. NRDC treats all vaccine-related data confidentially, in keeping with local, state, and federal laws.