NRDC is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our people helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our team of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and the globe from our offices in Beijing; Bozeman, Montana; Chicago; New Delhi; New York; San Francisco; Santa Monica; and Washington, D.C.
Reporting to the Controller, the Treasury Associate will play a crucial role in managing and optimizing the organization’s cash flow, banking relationships, and financial transactions. The key responsibilities will be centered around cash management, maintaining relationships with banking and financial institutions, assisting with financial reporting, risk management, cash forecasting, daily treasury operations, process improvement, and compliance and regulation. This role will collaborate closely with various internal departments and external financial partners to support the organization’s financial goals. Additionally, this position will help to build out a cash management function to aid the CFO and other Executive Leaders in agile decision making with respect to the organization’s operational cash need, liquidity reserves, and future cash needs. Other duties may include cross Accounting & Finance team project participation and assistance, and other special projects as assigned by the Controller and CFO.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the following essential functions:
What You'll Do
- Monitor daily cash balances, forecasts, and liquidity needs; initiate fund transfers; coordinate with the Finance and Accounts Payable teams
- Manage relationships with banks and financial institutions; monitor bank account activities, resolve discrepancies; assist in opening and closing accounts as needed
- Prepare accurate and timely treasury reports; collaborate with the accounting team to support month-end and year-end close processes
- Assist in the development and implementation of risk management strategies; ensure compliance with internal controls and regulatory requirements
- Collaborate with the Finance team to analyze historical data and market trends to create accurate cash flow forecasts; provide insights and recommendations for optimizing cash utilization and investment
- Coordinate with other departments to gather information related to cash needs and upcoming financial activities; execute and oversee transactions such as wire transfers, ACH payments, and investment activities; maintain accurate records of all treasury transactions
- Provide support to the Finance & Accounting Team as needed for cross team projects, initiatives, and system implementations/buildouts
The above list of duties is not comprehensive but generally demonstrates the types of matters under this position’s responsibility. Other duties may be assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in any field; accounting, finance, or business management degree is required (a Master’s degree is a plus)
- 3 years of experience in treasury operations, cash management, or a related financial role
- Professional certifications such as a CTP (Certified Treasury Professional) are a plus
- Experience with financial software and tools, including treasury management systems. Experience with Power BI and/or Tableau is a plus.
- Advanced Microsoft 365 platform abilities and comfortable working with cloud based collaborative platforms are required.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies
- Ability to connect and build strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong collaborating skills and the ability to work across cultures and communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Strong understanding of financial markets, banking products, and investment instruments
- Expert level organizational skills with ability to manage multiple moving pieces of a project/assignment/initiative
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to interpret complex financial data
- Problem-solving mindset with the ability to approach challenges by investigating root causes, research potential solutions, and effectively communicate best options to solving to Accounting & Finance leaders.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming diverse voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and is commensurate with skills and experience. Internal equity will be reviewed and considered to determine a final offer. For this position, the salary range is $100,000 to $106,000.
Our offices are open and we are operating in a hybrid model. We offer NRDCers flexibility, and we ask them to come into the office and spend meaningful time there in collaboration with their colleagues. We call this purposeful presence.
As a science-based organization, NRDC aims to do our part to help contain the COVID-19 public health crisis. For the sake of health, safety, and equity, we ask that people be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation or other exemption in accordance with state and local law. We consider a person to be vaccinated two weeks after receiving one full course of a CDC-approved vaccine. In accordance with state or local law, new hires will be asked to attest to vaccination, those wishing to do so may request medical or religious accommodations or other exemptions via NRDC Employee Relations. NRDC treats all vaccine-related data confidentially, in keeping with local, state, and federal laws.
To apply, visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your résumé and cover letter. Please mention where you saw this posting and upload any additional materials that showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates we would like to interview. Please no phone calls, emails, or in-person résumé drop-offs.
If you experience technical problems while applying or if you are a person with a disability and need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.