Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer. Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Miami, Chicago, Houston and Washington, DC.
The 12-person Digital Engagement team is responsible for leveraging the best digital tools and platforms available that enable Earthjustice to find, listen to, and interact with potential and existing supporters. We ensure that teams across the organization can reach and engage with diverse audiences via email, sms, social media, and the web, that we have the technology infrastructure, data, and staffing in place to maintain strong connections with those audiences, and that we can mobilize those audiences for grassroots advocacy to influence policy, litigation, and the environmental movement. The Digital Engagement team is part of the Communications department, alongside Editorial, Public Affairs, and Marketing. We partner closely with our colleagues in Communications, as well as with departments across the organization, including Fundraising, Human Resources, and IT to ensure our digital technology ecosystem meets their needs too.
The Web Team lives within the Digital Engagement team and currently consists of a Web Specialist (managed by this role) and the Senior Interactive Designer. This team is responsible for managing all technical aspects of the web site, smaller microsites and related technologies. They also work with internal stakeholders to implement new technical features and templates, keep the site secure and create and maintain content on the site. The Senior Web Manager leads the technical strategy to maintain and improve the infrastructure of the Earthjustice website and key digital properties. This role will strengthen the entire technology infrastructure within the Digital Engagement team, including the tools we use for digital advocacy, email, sms, social media, and data. The Senior Web Manager will also collaborate closely with stakeholders in Communications, Development, and IT to align our efforts with theirs and ensure that Earthjustice is best leveraging technology to achieve our mission. The Senior Web Manager is a new position within the organization and represents an opportunity for you to influence its scope and long term trajectory.
Website leadership and implementation (60%)
- Lead the technical strategy and vision of the Earthjustice website to achieve the goals of the Digital Engagement team, the Communications department, and stakeholders throughout the organization
- Manage the website infrastructure, including the CMS (Wordpress), web hosting , GDPR compliance, and end-to-end security-related infrastructure (DNS, SSL, etc.)
- Serve as project manager for website technical projects, including managing vendor relationships, invoices, and contracts
- Integrate third-party tools into the website as needed, and in compliance with GDPR and other privacy and data protection laws
- Responsible for a robust quality assurance process of web content and web related code
- Develop and maintain our security standards across our main web site and microsites and contantly be monitoring for any potential security breaches or attacks.
- Develop and provide training resources and documentation
- Maintain and improve our website analytics data collection tools and dashboards, including tag management tool (Google Tag Manager), website analytics tool (Google Analytics), A/B testing tool (Google Optimize), and ensure that data is accurately captured in dashboards (Google Data Studio)
- Monitor website performance and usage and implement frontend and backend improvements so that our website achieves the goals of a wide range of stakeholders
- Stay updated with and incorporate SEO and accessibility best practices
Technology ecosystem (10%)
- Develop and lead a technology roadmap for the Digital Engagement team to plan for long term infrastructure and staffing investments across all of the technology tools that we use
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to strengthen the technology infrastructure of our shared technology platforms, including: CRM (EveryAction), data warehouse (Civis), dashboards (Google Data Studio, Tableau)
- Evaluate and support implementation of new technology tools within the Digital Engagement team, including grassroots advocacy, SMS, social media listening, and data visualization tool(s)
- Identify opportunities for automating workflows across the Digital Engagement teams and develop the tools and systems to streamline those workflows
- Supervise and mentor the Web Specialist, including conducting performance reviews, regular check-ins and feedback sessions, and identifying and encouraging professional development opportunities
- Provide technology mentorship to other members of the Digital Engagement team, and to technology-focused roles in departments outside of Communications
- Develop your own management skills through manager training and coaching sessions
- Partner with HR and the Director of Digital Engagement to retain and recruit qualified staff to join the Web team, strengthen team cohesion, and communicate about the team’s activities to other teams and departments
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision
- Develops staff by identifying and encouraging training and professional development opportunities appropriate to role and creating development plans for all staff
- Provides staff with consistent performance feedback – both positive and constructive -- and acts as a coach and mentor
- Creates a learning culture, by encouraging debriefing after completion of significant stages of projects
- Ensures that any direct reports who have supervisory responsibility are properly executing those functions
- Creates a respectful and inclusive work environment for team and models respectful and inclusive behavior
- Promptly addresses micro-aggressions and other concerns brought to their attention
- Resolves interpersonal conflict among team members and brings in outside facilitators as needed
- Communicates regularly with existing employees and encourages staff to raise concerns and to provide ongoing feedback
- Creates or identifies strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration
- Values and uses individual differences and talents to improve employee satisfaction and the quality of collective work
- Celebrates successes and helps team members to understand and manage setbacks.
- A passion for building, maintaining and optimizing complex digital environments
- A strong background with WordPress
- Minimum 5+ years professional experience (in-house and/or freelance) in Web Development and working with complex digital environment
- Strong general computer skills, and advanced knowledge of HTML and CSS
- 4+ years of work on web development and integrating various platforms and channels
- 4+ years hands-on CMS experience in a direct production role
- A strong understanding of data and data platforms
- 2+ years of People Management experience (essential skills)
Ability to effectively manage and lead a diverse team with emotional intelligence (self-awareness and understating of the impact of their behavior) and cultural humility (an understanding of the need for additional learning about different cultures, backgrounds and orientation and implementation of that learning daily management practices)
Ability to give and receive regular formal and informal feedback in a timely, constructive, respectful, and consistent manner and to incorporate debriefing into the team’s operations
Strong team mentorship and communication skills
Understands the individual and team strengths and areas for development and develops plans accordingly
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization
- Extensive and current knowledge of web standards
- A solid understanding of design and UX/UI patterns
- Demonstrable web and design skills with expert knowledge of the following:
- Advance experience working with WordPress
- Advance experience with Google Analytics and other analytics tools
- Advance experience with A/B testing tools and procedures
- Current knowledge of best practices for search engine optimization
- Experience with project management tools
- Experience with CRM tools for email, digital fundraising and advocacy
- Experience with data analytics, dashboards
- Strong Project management skills
- Ability to manage direct reports; experience mentoring, delegating and training staff
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple deadlines, and respond quickly to new opportunities
- Strong writing skills
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Salary is dependent on experience and location.
Remote within US:
Salary range in San Francisco, CA or New York, NY: $125,300 - $139,200
Salary range in Sacramento, CA; Seattle, WA; Washington, D.C., Massachusetts; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles, CA or Honolulu, HI: $119,100 - $132,300
Salary range in Juneau, AK; Denver, CO; Philadelphia, PA; or Anchorage, AK: $112,800 - $125,300
Salary range in Austin, TX; Tallahassee, FL; Miami, FL; Bozeman, MT; or Albany, NY: $106,600 - $118,400
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One- or two-page cover letter
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.