: Guthrie Agriculture Center Charleston, WVFLSA Status
: Non-ExemptNature of Work:
Under general supervision, is responsible for the management of Microsoft Windows Servers running in VMware Virtualization environments, Microsoft Office365 e-mail services, and general technical support for the department. The work generally involves setup and testing of back-end servers, services, systems administration, training of end users and support of all local and remote network users. The incumbent actively participates in planning and implementation of information systems throughout the department and exercises considerable judgment in assessing the ramifications of particular related decisions. Supervision of this position is provided by the Information Technology Services Director.Examples of Work:
- Sets up and maintains the department’s back-end server systems including Microsoft Windows servers hosting file services, SharePoint services, AD (Active Directory) services, Office365 services, DNS (Domain Name System) services, DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) services, WDS (Windows Deployment Services), WSUS (Windows Server Update Services), and any other relevant server services.
- Maintains a current working knowledge of related Information Technology concepts and protocols such as SMTP, VPN, RPC, HTTP, and HTTPS.
- Actively participates in the configuration and deployment of agency information systems and computing equipment.
- Safeguards email resources, assuring protection against email related vulnerabilities and risks such as SPAM, Viruses, Spoofing, Relay, and other information security concerns pertaining to the use of messaging systems.
- Maintains a fixed asset database containing all of the computer equipment purchased and owned by the Information Technology Division. This includes applying tags to all newly purchased equipment, and completing physical inventories when required.
- Supports end-users via telephone and/or site visit regarding communication, printer, security, applications, and/or general systems(s) problems on LAN to LAN, LAN to Wide Area Networks, internet access and external VPN (Virtual Private Networking) access to various systems.
- Operates diagnostic and/or monitoring equipment/software to identify problems and takes appropriate corrective action.
- May develop training modules and instructional materials pertaining to the use of systems in-place at the West Virginia Department of Agriculture.
- Other duties as assigned.
Sitting, standing, walking, driving, using a computer, and other office equipment.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of capabilities and limitations of computers and related devices.
- Knowledge of Cisco Switches, Routers, and Firewalls with regards to basic configuration and setup a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of networking and communications concepts and standards.
- Knowledge of personal computer and server operating systems.
- Knowledge of computer hardware, software and its terminology.
- Knowledge of data communications, theory, protocols, industry standards and terminology.
- Knowledge of electronics and electricity, and communications technology and terminology.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate work environments, computer systems, and user requirements
- Ability to evaluate complex information systems and understand their structure.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve complex technical problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with users and superiors.
- Ability to clearly report activities and identify potential problem areas to manager.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to compile information and interpret technical information for non-technical staff in a user-friendly format.
- Experience: 2-5 years of full-time paid employment with experience related to assignment.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment drug testing.
- Satisfactory completion of pre-employment law enforcement background investigation, including DMV records.
- Must maintain a positive image of the Commissioner, West Virginia Department of Agriculture, and the State of West Virginia.
This description is subject to review and revision at the discretion of the Commissioner and designees.
West Virginia Department of Agriculture is an equal opportunity employer