American Century Investments® is a leading global asset manager focused on delivering investment results and building long-term client relationships while supporting research that can improve human health and save lives. Founded in 1958, the firm’s 1,400 employees serve financial professionals, institutions, corporations and individual investors, offering a wide range of investment strategies across a variety of investment disciplines.
We are committed to providing institutional-quality, actively managed solutions with a performance-centered mindset. Our expertise spans global growth equity, global value equity, disciplined equity, multi-asset strategies, global fixed income, alternatives and ETFs.
Privately controlled and independent, we focus solely on investment management. This empowers us to align our decisions with client expectations and concentrate on their long-term money management needs.
Our culture of winning behaviors exemplifies our dedication to clients every single day. Delivering investment results enables us to distribute over 40% of our dividends—more than $1.8 billion — to the Stowers Institute for Medical Research, a 500-person, non-profit basic biomedical research organization with a controlling interest in American Century Investments. Our dividend payments provide ongoing financial support for the Institute’s work of uncovering the causes, treatments and prevention of life-threatening diseases, like cancer.
For more information, please visit americancentury.com.
Our IT teams support that mission by building applications and products that serve our customers. We’re looking for a Software Engineer Advisor that is interested in leading software evolution and innovation within an Investment Technology team. The ideal candidate would be passionate about leadership and applying modern engineering principles for building and delivering software to market.
Primary responsibilities as a very "Hands-on" Technical Lead for this position are to provide day-to-day leadership, individual coaching, mentoring, software engineering and architectural /Technical solution mentorship to Scrum Team Engineers. Our Lead Developers work closely with Product Owners and Architects to identify solutions and lead team members to deliver improvements to our clients through Agile development.
- Collaborating with Product Owners / Partners in the pursuit of delivering the most value possible to ACI Clients.
- Set goals and objectives that align with department Strategies & Roadmap toward Investment Management initiatives.
- Outline solutions with Product Owners and Team Architect to support building Distribution Digitization capabilities/features.
- Lead System and Application-level architecture and design sessions.
- Lead Software Engineering solution development and continuous delivery
- Prepare technical design and requirements to support secure and scalable software development with quality results
- Track progress to team commitments and objectives
- Facilitate mentoring & coaching sessions with team members to continuously improve technical solution, delivery, and teamwork.
- Empower and champion team success
- Experience with developing in Cloud environment and good knowledge of cloud/AWS infrastructure
- Participate in industry outreach and research
- Identify innovative ideas and build consensus for adoption and its execution
- Lead and develop feature enhancements and coordinate releases through continuous delivery
- Ability to lead in solving complex technology/ software problems, identifying the root cause, and resolving the issue
Experience, Skills & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (preferable), Finance or Business, required
- 7+ years work experience Financial Services / Asset Management firm, required
- Experience working with Portfolio Managers and Traders on software projects, required
- Hands-on work experience using Java 8, Maven, Jenkins, GIT, Postman/Newman, Swagger, REACT (*.js), RESTful Services and Messaging Services (MQ, Kafka)
- Validated leadership and communications skills
- Broad knowledge of software engineering and testing Practices & Methodologies
- Proven hands-on technical expertise, analytical and troubleshooting skills in Java, Python and Cloud-Native solutions
- Must have experience with Agile/SAFE practices
- Experience with major market data providers – Bloomberg, FactSet, S&P
- Experience with risk and portfolio management systems – BlackRock Aladdin, Bloomberg AIM, Charles River a plus
- Work experience with OpenShift, MuleSoft and any Rules Engine including experience in AWS technologies will be added advantage
- Experience with R/MatLab/Python ML packages a plus.
- Models the American Century Investments Winning Behaviors: Client Focused, Courageous and Accountable, Collaborative, Curious and Adaptable, Competitively Driven, Adheres to the highest ethical standards and business practices, and Supports a culture of compliance
Candidates must be willing to perform on-call duties outside of business hours when needed in alignment with ACI general DevOps practices.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
This position will work in a hybrid work environment. Position may be filled in New York, Kansas City, MO, Santa Clara, CA or DFW/Southlake, Texas. Candidate hired outside of KCMO can expect some travel, at least once per quarter, to ACI Headquarters (KCMO) or other ACI locations.
The salary range for this position is $150,210 - $191,070 depending on qualifications and work location. This position is eligible for cash incentive providing the potential to earn more.
- Employees are required to be in the office on a scheduled frequency. Adherence to this schedule is essential to fulfilling the expectations of the role.
- As a global firm with offices in several cities, we will uphold any local regulations regarding COVID-19 precautions and/or vaccination requirements for the workplace.
American Century Investments is committed to complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable Equal Employment Opportunity laws and regulations. As such, American Century strives to provide a reasonable accommodation to any qualified individual under the ADA to perform essential job functions.
American Century Investments believes all individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunity and advancement opportunities without regard to race, religious creed, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age for individuals forty years of age and older, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, and any other basis protected by applicable federal, state and local laws. ACI does not discriminate or adopt any policy that discriminates against an individual or any group of individuals on any of these bases.
©2019 American Century Proprietary Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.