**Histotechnician II - Surgical Pathology-Histology (52578)**
+ Job Type:Part Time
+ FTE/Bi-Weekly Hours:.50/40
+ Hours in Shift:8
+ Location:Palo Alto, CA
Embeds and cuts a wide variety of surgical and research tissue, including autopsy specimens, tiny biopsies, lymph nodes, breast tissue and bone marrow. Sections paraffin embedded tissue at 1-7 microns and mounts on microscope slides. Performs a variety of staining techniques, including immunohistochemical procedures, for microscopic evaluation.
1) Cut 50-100 blocks per day while maintaining a high quality product
2) Cut high quality 1-4 micron sections of small and difficult biopsy specimens
3) Demonstrates an ability and willingness to assume independent responsibility
4) Maintains cooperative and professional attitude in when interacting with others both inter- and intradepartmentally
5) Must comply with all applicable health and safety policies
6) Perform quality control on sections and staining procedures to ensure a high quality finished product
7) Perform routine H&E stains as well as special stains and Immunoperoxidase
8) Perform STAT GMS stains and STAT specimen processing
9) Able to organize and prioritize specimens and tasks to produce a high quality product in an efficient and timely manner
10) Able to work overtime and cover other shifts as warranted by the department
11) Participate in on-call rotations: carry a beeper and respond in a timely manner when paged
12) Able to work in a fast paced, high volume laboratory
13) Must be able to prioritize and successfully multitask
14) Participate in a positive manner in all department meetings
15) Participate in the rotation as department safety officer
16) Other work related duties as assigned
17) Committed to customer satisfaction
18) Committed to working in a team environment
19) Follow written and oral directions
20) Expected behaviors include adaptability to change, collaboration toward common goals, is self motivated and takes initiative
21) Expected communication skills involve active listening and proper email etiquette
Performs other duties as requested.
Equal Opportunity Employer Stanford Health Care (SHC) strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity and non-discrimination in all of its policies and practices, including the area of employment. Accordingly, SHC does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity and/or expression, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or disability, or the perception of any of the above. People of all genders, members of all racial and ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants with criminal convictions will be considered after an individualized assessment of the conviction and the job requirements.
National recognition in 10 specialties.
Watch our stories
"We have a culture of patient care first here, one that speaks to our mission and our values: to care, to educate, and to discover."
Brian L.Unit EducatorBSN, CMS RN
Did you know?
196Stanford Health Care uses 196 solar panels, powering 17% of the hospital's electricity.
17In 2015, we had 17 dogs in our Pet Assisted Wellness (PAWS) Program.
8We're proud to work with 8 All-time Stanford Medicine Nobel Laureates.
1,592Stanford Health Care exhibits more than 1,592 original art pieces.
· High School Diploma or GED equivalent
· Two (2) years of progressively responsible directly related work experience
· ASCP Certified
SHC does not discriminate on the basis of Ancestry, Age, Color, Disability, Genetic information, Gender, gender identity, or gender expression, Marital status, Medical condition, Military or veteran status, National origin, Race, Religion, Sex, and Sexual orientation.