Overview UL is seeking an Associate Electrical Engineer to join our Due Dilligence team in Albany, NY, San Diego, CA, or Northbrook, IL! Contribute to a Safer, More Secure, and More Sustainable World
. At UL, we know why we come to work. Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with one common purpose - to make the world a safer, more secure, and more sustainable place to live. We clear the way for our customers to introduce the latest products, technological advances, and systems in an increasingly complex world so they can provide peace of mind to the market. Our integrity is woven throughout our company and shapes the way we approach and deliver our solutions. We are proud that the work we do every day has a meaningful contribution to society. We continue to build upon our legacy of trusted expertise and partnership to keep our communities safe and secure as we march forward into the future. This helps us to sleep better at night, and we are confident that the millions of people we touch rest easier too.
As a member of the Due Diligence team, the Associate Electrical Engineer is responsible for performing a wide range of duties to support primarily independent engineering and investor services and secondly to support owner's engineering and project development services for renewables projects.
Responsibilities include independent design, construction, and operations assessments, including on-site field activities, and report preparation for wind and solar renewable energy generation and energy storage projects. This position will be responsible for supporting multiple projects simultaneously with a demonstrated competence and depth in a broad range of electrical power systems engineering, generation, and construction concepts.
- Support the electrical engineering aspects of high profile Independent Engineering and Technical Advisory projects for project financing, tax equity, sales and acquisitions of wind, solar, and storage projects and portfolios, including performing electrical design review, reviewing electrical power systems aspects of engineering, procurement and construction contracts, interconnection agreements, project construction schedule, and project CAPEX/OPEX costs
- Conduct detailed technical review and independent assessment of electrical power systems engineering and construction documentation, including plans and specifications, calculations, studies, construction submittals, test documentation, construction job books, and QA/QC documentation
- Conduct on-site construction monitoring to assess compliance with plans and specifications, good construction practice, and adherence to QA/QC programs
- Lead or participate in meetings and conference calls with lenders, investors, developers, contractors, and engineers regarding electrical engineering technical reviews and construction issues
- Prepare detailed reports of electrical engineering design reviews, project documentation assessments, and construction monitoring;
- Track and monitor project documentation, review, inspection, and reporting status
- Participate in formal and informal departmental training activities to continue development of engineering knowledge base
- Attend regular departmental and team meetings, participate as appropriate in industry groups such as IEEE and other engineering societies
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. degree in electrical engineering, with focus on power system engineering.
- 0-2+ proved years' experience in the renewable industry
- Ability to travel 25-35% domestically and internationally
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate highly complex engineering, construction, and operational issues to lay people
- Fluency in Microsoft Office products
- Fluency in English
- Valid Driver's license with an insurable good driving record
- Demonstrate competency with: Power generation, distribution, substation, and transmission concepts
- Work effectively with colleagues to ensure timely delivery of high quality products
- Ability to maintain good relationships with clients
- Familiarity with and practical knowledge of related disciplines, with ability to independently grasp and articulate fundamental engineering concepts
- Self-starter with ability to schedule and prioritize tasks and commitments
- Experience with wind, solar, or energy storage projects
- Experience with SKM PowerTools, ETAP, DigSilent, EMTP, or similar power system analysis software
- Master's degree