At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
AES Distributed Energy is seeking an experienced Project Engineer to coordinate Solar PV and integrated Energy Storage (BESS) engineering and technical support activities, working closely with the Business Development team and Construction team in the US and other AES markets to qualify, evaluate and support projects through their life-cycle.
The Project Engineer will be responsible for solar PV and battery storage projects in late-stage development, construction and operation. Responsibilities include PV production analysis, energy models for integrated PV and BESS, electrical and structural design review, Scope of Work and Requests for Proposal for engineering services, field quality control, field punch list development and development of commissioning and performance testing plans.
Project Engineers join an execution project team and serve as the single point-of-contact for technical and engineering matters for all assigned projects. Excellent communication, task management and planning skills needed, in addition to technical breadth.
The successful candidate will have a depth of experience in the design, engineering and analysis of PV systems and BESS ranging from 500 kW to 100 MW as well as an in-depth understanding of the architectures and components to build such systems.
The position is in Boulder, CO, and may include up to 20% travel to project locations and partner offices.
• Project Scope of Work and design standards development
• Seek and evaluate proposals for engineering services
• Coordinate engineering consultants to develop project construction drawings and support material
• Review and comment on design deliverables provided by consultants and contractors for the construction of projects
• Respond to contractor RFIs during course of construction
• Perform QA/QC field inspections and punch list development
• Perform Job Safety Assessments and Safety Walks to identify job-site hazards
• Review commissioning reports and analyze system performance
• Technical project due diligence and project engineering design review
• Equipment review and selection
• Engineering Procurement and Construction contract support
• Energy production and performance modeling for PV and PV+BESS systems
• Assessment of model accuracy including meteorological assessment and P-50/P-90 analysis Engineering Support
• Review recent technology and companies for Approved Vendor List inclusion
• PV and BESS system design optimization to maximize reliability and reduce cost
• Collaborate with Asset Management team to troubleshoot existing systems or develop repair and remediation plans
**Growth and Leadership**
• Improve and develop processes for the execution of safe, quality and high-performance projects
• Mentor and educate team on changing trends in technology, best practices and safety
• Participate in AES DE’s growth planning process by contributing to process improvement task forces and other strategic planning activities
• Undergraduate degree in Engineering or equivalent technical field; Graduate degree preferred
• 3+ years professional experience in solar PV system design, development, construction and analysis preferred
• Proficiency in real-world PV system design, including 1-line and 3-line diagram conventions, NEC conductor sizing, overcurrent protection sizing, utility disconnecting means requirements, equipment selection, grounding methodologies and short circuit current analysis
• Experience with basic medium voltage interconnection design
• Strong proficiency with AutoCAD, PVsyst, and Microsoft Excel
• 1-3 years of experience with Battery Energy Storage Systems design and modeling
• Experience with Matlab, ETAP, SKM and other advanced modeling tools
• Substation/HV design experience
• NABCEP PV Installation Professional certification
• Spanish language skills
• OSHA 10-hr or comparable job-site safety certification
**Create an extraordinary future.**
AES people raise the quality of life in communities around the world – from bringing electricity to rural communities in El Salvador for the first time, to engineering battery storage that makes a clean energy future possible. That’s a 24/7 responsibility, so we work like a 10,500-person start-up – all in, full-on, in small, hyper-connected teams of people from different divisions, specialties and cultures.
We recognize and reward contribution from anyone, anywhere. The only limit to our influence and impact is our own commitment. We measure our careers by the difference we make to our communities, colleagues and families. So we care as much about how we act as what we do, at work and in life. We don’t just work at AES. We work for AES. We are AES.
Global Opportunities: www.aes.com/careers