600 W Reichmuth Rd Valley Nebraska 68064-0358
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and **BUILD YOUR WORLD.**
**A Brief Summary of This Position:**
Primary functions for this Individual Contributor position include the engineering design and development activities required to meet project requirements as defined by the Director of Product Management - Solar. The incumbent schedules and monitors the work flow of the design team in order to meet milestone dates for those projects assigned. The design team may consist of one or more individuals from Manufacturing Engineering, Procurement, Service, Quality Assurance and Engineering Services. The incumbent utilizes in-house consultation of colleagues and Principle Engineers to assure specifications are met, and receives consultation from Manufacturing to ensure design efficiency and manufacturability. Depending on the scope of the project the Mechanical Engineer – Solar Support Structures may be responsible for leading the development team. This engineer is responsible for attending technical design review meetings and providing technical design inputs. In order to meet the expectations of this position, the incumbent must be able to follow standard design and development procedures and recommends updates to design and development procedures as necessary. The incumbent must continually improve his or her knowledge of existing assemblies, keeping up-to-date on manufacturing capabilities.
· This position reports to the Director of Product Management - Solar and has no direct or indirect reports
· This role requires up to 25% travel (internationally/domestically), including overnight stays. Initially, this role may spend extended time in Italy for training and development purposes.
· Work in design and development activities to meet project requirements as defined by the Director of Product Management - Solar
· Work with individuals from Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Services to ensure design efficiency and manufacturability
· Participate in technical design review meetings and conference calls and provide mechanical design direction and input
· Follow standard design and development procedures, recommending updates to design procedures when needed
· Responsible for the engineering design and development of new products to meet requirements defined by Director of Product Management – Solar
· Responsible for modifications to existing designs and products to meet changes in manufacturing capabilities, support cost reduction activities, and address reliability and warranty issues
· Responsible for providing creative and innovative engineering solutions that aid in the resolution of field and manufacturing problems and in the maintenance and improvement of existing products
· Responsible for implementing all phases of project plans and monitoring progress per established schedule and budget targets
· Responsible for maintaining good relationships with customers, field personnel and other Valmont departments to ensure the most efficient working environment
· Responsible for the detailed project documentation currently required by Valmont Product Development procedures
· Responsible for providing technical design inputs and technical direction for design reviews
· Responsible for coordinating and conducting laboratory or field testing as situations dictate
· Provide technical support to other departments as required toward meeting the needs of our customers
**Other Important Details about the Role:**
The Mechanical Engineer – Solar Support Structures acts as a project team leader working with cross functional partners to design and develop activities required to meet product requirements. The position is accountable meeting milestone dates for those projects assigned. The role requires partnership with multiple cross functional partners. This engineer is responsible for attending technical design review meetings and providing technical design inputs and direction when needed. The Mechanical Engineer – Solar Support Structures must continually improve his or her knowledge of existing assemblies, keep up-to-date on manufacturing capabilities, and developing an awareness of the field usage of our products. The employee in this position is also expected to mentor Junior Engineers and the Engineering Technicians as they coordinate their project workflow.
**Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):**
· Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of relevant experience
· Experience using SolidWorks and AutoCAD
· Familiarity with ANSYS-FEA or Abaqus-FEA
· Machine design experience
· Design for Manufacturing experience (DFM)
· Experience with GD&T, material specification, surface finishing requirements and manufacturing techniques (bends, welds, surface treatments)
· Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines
· Ability to identify, communicate and participate in process improvement opportunities aimed at reducing cost, improving efficiencies and increasing customer satisfaction
· A strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power Point and Microsoft Word
· Previous work experience managing projects
· Excellent communication, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills
· The ability to mentor and lead others
· Passion and integrity with the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
· Must have current U.S. passport for travel
**Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:**
· Direct Experience with Solar Trackers
· Experience with FEA (MODAL & Vibration)
· Experience with steel metallurgy, welding processes
· Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
· Familiarity with UL testing procedures and requirements
**Working Environment and Physical Efforts:**
Work is typically performed in an office setting; however, incumbent may be required to go into the production or shipping/receiving areas. While visiting the manufacturing areas of the plant, use of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is required at all times. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and attend meetings. The Mechanical Engineer will also spend time traveling to and from different venues. The work environment can be demanding at times with harsh weather conditions while working outdoors. Domestic travel represents up to 10% of the yearly work schedule for the Mechanical Design Engineer and includes transportation by vehicle and by air. 95% of the tasks are sedentary. The employee is constantly required to use hands and fingers to type and design. There may some assembly of small parts required. For the most part, the physical effort level is considered light. Reaching hands and arms above shoulder height while working in the office may be required. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office or plant. There are areas of the plant that cannot be accessed by elevator and the employee may need to occasionally visit those locations. There may be off-site visits and the employee is expected to get him/herself to the venue. The employee may have to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, but this is a rare requirement of this position. A dolly, forklifts and hoists are available for transportation of heavier items. Specific vision abilities important for this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color identification and depth perception. There is a certain level of decision making and analysis that this position requires although any large decision would be made with the guidance of more senior level engineers. There are times when some of the administrative tasks are repetitive and somewhat mundane, yet an integral part of the essential functions of the position. This position requires mental stamina and patience as it requires coaching and leading lesser-skilled colleagues on proper design techniques.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries is a **leading producer and distributor** of products for the infrastructure and agriculture markets.
Valmont Industries began in 1946 when our founder, Robert B. Daugherty combined his $5,000 savings and wholehearted belief that business could and should be done better. Since that modest start more than half a century ago, our company has grown to be an international leader in engineered products and services for infrastructure and water-conserving irrigation equipment for agriculture.
From the lighting and traffic structures that guide your way, to communication towers and utility structures that power your home and business, to irrigation equipment that waters the croplands on which your food is grown, Valmont products improve lives worldwide.
Valmont Industries operates in five primary business segments: Engineered Support Structures, Utility Support Structures, Coatings, Energy and Mining, and Irrigation. Valmont (VMI) is publicly traded on the NYSE.
We focus on two global markets: infrastructure and agriculture. Valmont Industries is present in 23 developed and developing countries, offering 27 brands from more than 80 facilities. International sales represent a significant portion of our revenues.
Valmont’s employees are passionate about the products we make. Along with our customers, they are the cornerstone of our success. We pride ourselves on being people of integrity who excel at delivering optimal results. We pursue opportunities for growth by taking our products and processes to new markets, introducing new products to regions where we have a presence, and continually improving our services to ensure that Valmont solutions are second-to-none.