600 W Reichmuth Rd Valley Nebraska 68064-0358
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and **BUILD YOUR WORLD.**
**A Brief Summary of This Position:**
This is an individual contributor position responsible for structural analysis and design of "standard" products to be quoted and fabricated by the Valmont Utility Division, Solar Group, primarily solar tracker support structures. Included in this is the full design responsibility for processing specific orders and general design engineering support for drafting and sales.
· Analyze and design products by Finite Element Method and other structural design software taking into consideration both public safety, manufacturability, and minimum cost balancing competitiveness and profitability
· Interpret customer specifications, customer needs, and market/sales needs
· Communicate engineering data to the customer and others. The latter includes itemizing cost-related requirements of a quotation, including weights, reviewing engineering drawings and evaluating as-built product.
· Direct efforts of the Drafting Group to assure that project requirements have been properly detailed and that order processing proceeds smoothly and rapidly
· Internal relationships and communications that promote a professional attitude towards the work and the office environment
· Recommend changes in design criteria, analysis methods, drafting procedures and developing new methods and procedures when appropriate
· Recommend tests to confirm theoretical designs when necessary and plan and coordinate the testing
· Communicate information about new ideas, product and system improvements, etc. to encourage increased morale and efficiency throughout the company and to enhance Valmont’s image as the leader in our industry
· Improve work skills for advancement, specifically: knowledge of fabrication concepts; design requirements and advanced methods of analysis
**Other Important Details about the Role:**
The Design Engineer reports to the Director of Product Management - Solar, who reports to the Vice President and General Manager – North American Utility. At this continuing development level, the incumbent performs routine engineering work requiring application of standard techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering tasks. General direction of a Senior Design, Design and/or Associate Drafter will normally be a part of this job. For training and developmental purposes, assignments may include work that may be otherwise typical of a higher level.
The products within the scope of this position are fabricated steel tracking structures used for the support of solar PV panels for utility-scale solar farms. "Standard" structures include both support structures and drive equipment to enable tracking capability. Familiarity with the design requirements of other product lines is required.
The work primarily includes interpretation of customer specifications and design and analysis of structures to meet those specifications, in combination with applicable national, technical society, and Valmont codes and specifications. The incumbent provides continuity of this function during the quotation and order processing stages. This involves direction, and possibly supervision, of the design and drafting process, selective checking of drawings, and significant interrelationship with other departments at Valmont Utility.
The incumbent provides the technical support in customer contacts on quotations and orders. Routinely, effective customer contact by telephone, letter, and email is required. Occasional supervised customer contact is included.
Assignments are screened for problems unique to the department. Work may be assigned which requires the incumbent to determine solutions using available resources, including the experience of other engineers. The incumbent receives instructions on specific assignment objectives, complex features and possible solutions. Assistance is furnished on unusual problems. Work is reviewed selectively during progress and upon completion.
**Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):**
· Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Structural Engineering or related engineering field and 5+ years of relevant experience
· Successful completion of Engineer-in-Training Certificate
· One year of structural experience
· Sound technical competence in structural engineering
· A good understanding of the end use of the product and the nature of the design loads
· A good working knowledge of 3D CAD Simulation
· Excellent communication skills
· An understanding of standard fabrication and welding procedures and processes, including quality assurance requirements and methods
· Passion and integrity with the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
· Travel outside of the US is required during initial training
· Candidate must have a valid U.S. passport for international travel up to 25%
**Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:**
· Direct experience with Solar Trackers
· Master’s degree
· 3D Computer Aided Design experience
· Finite Element Analysis experience
· Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
· Leadership characteristics
**Working Environment and Physical Efforts:**
Work is typically performed in an office setting, however the incumbent will spend time training in Italy, and may be required to go into the production areas of the plant. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries is a **leading producer and distributor** of products for the infrastructure and agriculture markets.
Valmont Industries began in 1946 when our founder, Robert B. Daugherty combined his $5,000 savings and wholehearted belief that business could and should be done better. Since that modest start more than half a century ago, our company has grown to be an international leader in engineered products and services for infrastructure and water-conserving irrigation equipment for agriculture.
From the lighting and traffic structures that guide your way, to communication towers and utility structures that power your home and business, to irrigation equipment that waters the croplands on which your food is grown, Valmont products improve lives worldwide.
Valmont Industries operates in five primary business segments: Engineered Support Structures, Utility Support Structures, Coatings, Energy and Mining, and Irrigation. Valmont (VMI) is publicly traded on the NYSE.
We focus on two global markets: infrastructure and agriculture. Valmont Industries is present in 23 developed and developing countries, offering 27 brands from more than 80 facilities. International sales represent a significant portion of our revenues.
Valmont’s employees are passionate about the products we make. Along with our customers, they are the cornerstone of our success. We pride ourselves on being people of integrity who excel at delivering optimal results. We pursue opportunities for growth by taking our products and processes to new markets, introducing new products to regions where we have a presence, and continually improving our services to ensure that Valmont solutions are second-to-none.