The Senior Officer, Project Preparation Facility Management is responsible for the development and operation of the Facility, in close coordination with the Subnational Coordinator and the Colombia Deputy Country Representative / Policy coordinator. The PPF Senior Officer will lead all PPF activities and be responsible for engaging with internal and external stakeholders including government counterparts, the Green Growth Committee and Investors Roundtable and other relevant parties. She/he will report directly to GGGI Country Representative in Colombia.
The PPF Senior Officer is expected to drive the establishment, review and refinement of the Project Preparation Facility operational framework, governing bodies and decision-making criteria. The position will be responsible for ensuring that the portfolio of approved projects is implemented efficiently and effectively in accordance with GGGI’s and PPF’s policies as well as approved terms and conditions agreed with the Kingdom of Norway and the Government of Colombia. S/he will be responsible for the supervision and management of the PPF’s budget execution and coordination of associated personnel and consultants. The position will also be responsible for ensuring adequate and timely reporting and assessment of implementation progress and results from the PPF’s investments as well as for proactively working with the PPF’s Green Growth Technical Committee and Investor Roundtable to address implementation issues and challenges and ensure the achievement of the fund’s KPIs.
Reporting to the Colombian Country Representative, the PPF Senior Officer will guide the establishment, review and refinement of the Project Preparation Facility operational framework, governing bodies and decision-making criteria. The successful candidate will:
- Lead the roll-out and development of the PPF’s operational framework, governing bodies and decision-making criteria in alignment with the program´s results framework, GGGI’s policies and regulations and the Government of Colombia’s priorities and requirements;
- Be up-to-date and understand Colombia’s finance landscape and is able to identify synergies and complementarities between GGGI’s PPF and national funds and development banks;
- Conceptualize the project identification and selection process in line with the fund’s operational framework and decision-making principles;
- Be responsible for the PPF´s budget planning and execution, including progress reports, monitoring and assessing the performance of PPF projects´ implementation;
- Identify risks and performance challenges of PPF projects and provide advice to project owners on appropriate corrective measures as appropriate;
- Proactively lead and coordinate project development to ensure the timely compliance with the PPF’s key performance indicator targets and budget;
- Ensure continued improvement of PPF management practices, particularly related to strengthening and standardizing portfolio monitoring procedures and processes in response to evolving and varied institutional and investor needs and contexts;
- Be responsible for the preparation and delivery of workshops, focus group discussions and meetings as required for the successful delivery of the PPF’s mission;
- Participate in the Colombian Program´s Management Team contributing towards proper program management and development.
- Engage with Subnational public and private stakeholders to identify green investment needs in the context of the targeted sectors to be addressed by the Colombia-GGGI-Norway Green Growth Program (Phase II) and map out potential project preparation opportunities relevant to these needs;
- Conceptualize and implement transparent and competitive private sector engagement process in line with GGGI’s own policies and regulations;
- Identify, develop and sustain partnerships/relationships with key stakeholders to be part of the Investors´ Roundtable and Green Growth Technical Committee, facilitating information exchange, enhancing their value-added to the PPF´s implementation and finetuning their interest to secure financial mobilization as set in the program´s results framework;
- Lead the market engagement process with potential project proponents identifying clear investment requirements and barriers that could be targeted through the PPF. This would set a clear scope of potential beneficiaries and investors to be engaged in the PPF operation;
- Lead the market engagement process with potential investors leading to the establishment and formalization of the PPF Investor Roundtable;
- Lead and coordinate monitoring of projects portfolio by direct involvement with project owners, review of project reports, and ad-hoc site visits to assess implementation performance, as well as identify and proactively manage implementation and performance risks and challenges;
- Work closely with subnational state and non-state actors to build a pipeline of sustainable forest-based projects and bring them to financial close;
- Support GGGI Country Representative in other activities and tasks related to Green Investments when necessary, including stakeholders’ engagement, resource mobilization and internal/external reporting;
- Build and drive engagement with external and internal stakeholders to drive appropriate actions and strategies to address emerging challenges to assure healthy portfolio performance and results;
- Contribute to GGGI-wide initiatives and represent GGGI Colombia and the PPF in internal committees/working groups and external engagements including conferences and meetings as appropriate;
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior members of the team and contribute to/ lead hiring processes of consultants and interns as instructed by the Country Representative;
- Closely coordinate with the Subnational Coordinator and the Colombia Deputy Country Representative / Policy coordinator to ensure that all PPF activities are aligned and supportive of our national and subnational programs.
- Provide thought leadership with regards to project preparation needs that will unlock green financing to the target areas of the program, namely forestry, sustainable cattle-ranching, tourism, and non-timber forest products;
- Be responsible for the carrying out all procurement processes associated to the PPF implementation, including TOR preparation, procurement, invoice registration, disbursement, contract amendments and restructuring in line with GGGI Procurement and Finance Policies;
- Quality-assure all deliverables related to the PPF, including consultant´s reports, investor pitches, project idea notes, knowledge sharing products, among others;
- Supervise GGGI staff and consultants, providing timely and appropriate feedback, guidance and training as needed to secure excellent performance and capacity building;
- Assesses delivery issues and works with national and sub-national counterparts to build common understanding and coordination on project activities;
- Coordinate closely with the Colombian team and others as needed to build a strong team capable of supporting Government counterparts and meeting program goals and requirements;
- Participate in any other relevant activities deemed necessary for the development of GGGI’s Colombia program, including monitoring and evaluation of activities.
- Advanced university degree in business administration, finance, or other related fields;
- At least 7 years of solid experience in structuring and implementing public and private sector projects; experience with green growth-related projects is an advantage;
- Demonstrated track record in implementation and monitoring of productive projects in developing countries, particularly in rural areas and that are related to sustainable land use;
- Experience and knowledge with international climate financing source, particularly the Green Climate Fund is a plus;
- Experience in reputable international organizations with exposure to best practice in different countries is an advantage;
- Exposure to/knowledge of climate change project issues and/or climate finance modalities is an added advantage;
- Sound understanding of financial instruments (grants, debt, guarantees and equity), blended finance and sustainable landscape sector investment areas.
- Must be a Colombian citizen, or a foreigner holding a valid Work Visa
- Exceptional planning and strategical skills oriented towards the effective and timely delivery of agreed outputs;
- Ability to articulate and present ideas well both in writing and orally to a diverse audience of stakeholders at technical and strategic levels;
- Knowledge of the operational framework and fiduciary standards of international public sector institutions;
- Experience working with local communities, indigenous peoples, or other rural and forest dwellers in the implementation of sustainable agriculture implementation in Colombia or in countries with similar socio-economic context;
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving skills;
- Strong Interpersonal/relationship management and negotiation skills, with demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment with diverse stakeholders at different technical and strategic levels– staff, Board and external stakeholders;
- Take balanced view of situations incorporating different perspectives. Seeks alternative viewpoints. Recognize priorities, weighs up different options and evaluates risks. Reaches logical conclusions and decides on appropriate plan of action. Evaluates previous judgements in order to improve;
- Unquestionable integrity and adherence to the highest ethical standards;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish are essential for this position.
- Set personal goals which are challenging but achievable. Pursues these with excellence, energy, persistence and determination. Enthusiastic and committed to improving personal performance levels;
- Outstanding stakeholder engagement, client relationship, communication, team work and consensus building;
- Able to achieve results in a quality, timely, and cost-effective way. Sees priorities, plans the efficient use of resources, and monitors progress against objectives. Anticipates crucial stages in projects. Formulates alternative means of achieving objectives. Responds effectively to unforeseen events;
- Able to identify and separate out the key components of problems and situations. Able to manipulate and interpret information from a range of sources, to spot patterns and trends in information and to deduce cause and effect from this. Can generate a range of creative solutions, evaluate them and choose the most appropriate option;
- Have actively sought to learn new things on own initiative. Has responded positively to change and adapted to new situations quickly. Able to take on a diverse range of tasks equally effectively;
- Creative thinking, problem solving, resourcefulness and leadership are highly desired.
Only CV´s and applications in English will be reviewed
Please notice that “Date to close” is in Korean Standard Time (KST) – not Colombia time -
Based in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as "green growth", which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries around the world. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development and management activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; as well as building the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
GGGI has been working for more than six years with the Government of Colombia to advance the Green Growth agenda, which is of the greatest importance for the Government within the framework of the priorities of legality, entrepreneurship and equity, protecting the environment, developing science and innovation. In its role as a trusted advisor to the Government of Colombia, the Institute has supported the definition of a Green Growth strategy within the National Development Plan 2014 - 2018, which for the first time defines environmental sustainability goals at the sector level. Likewise, it has supported the development of the Long-Term Green Growth Policy (Article 171 of Law 1753 of 2015).
It has also supported the design and implementation of an innovative sub-national payment-for-performance program, through which it aims to obtain financing that will meet the goal of reducing net deforestation to zero by 2020 in the Colombian Amazon, while promoting a vision of low carbon development and green growth. And since the end of 2018 lead the coordination of a national payment for results program called the Joint Declaration of Intention. Carrying out this activity in coordination and subordination with the office of the Minister of Environment and Sustainable Development.
GGGI Colombia has also supported the Ministry of Mines and Energy in the structuring and implementation of the Non-Conventional Energy and Energy Efficiency Fund, FENOGE. As well as to the High Council for the Post-conflict in the structuring of 20 bankable projects that can mobilize resources from the private sector to agro-environmental investments in prioritized areas.
In the period 2020-2022, GGGI within the framework of the Colombia-GGGI-Norway Green Growth Program (Phase II) will be responsible for developing and managing a Project Preparation Facility (PPF). The PPF aims to facilitate the preparation of investment-ready forest-based projects across selected regions by applying blended finance solutions throughout the development phase. GGGI´s PPF will provide technical support to project owners/concessionaires to develop bankable projects spanning the entire value chain – from production to market. The emphasis will be on projects that contribute to forest conservation, restoration, food security, green employment creation, gender equality and smallholders´ livelihoods. The PPF will contribute to the structuring of a solid pipeline of sustainable projects aligned with each region’s needs and priorities to be submitted for funding to public and private investors and finance providers. The PPF will provide support under two funding windows:
- Project preparation support to the design and structuring of private- and public-led projects across priority sectors, including forestry, agriculture, bioeconomy, nature-based tourism and non timber forest products;
- Greenpreneurs, an initiative aimed at incentivizing and supporting forest friendly start-ups across priority rural areas.
During the three years of program implementation, the PPF will build and maintain a pipeline of investment-ready projects to be marketed to selected national and international, public and private investors comprising the PPF Investors Roundtable.