The CIMI Sail Instructor at Toyon Bay is responsible for providing quality instruction and leadership in the sailing program at CIMI. This entails providing the proper curriculum, insuring all programs are conducted in accordance with set policies, and the development of educational and instructional programs to ensure the high standards of the program.
1. Must have a current driver's license.
2. Must have prior sailing and boating experience (in instruction preferred).
3. Have a creative mindset in order to develop ways to teach sailing to multiple different types of learning styles in a comprehensive and cohesive manner.
4. Must be a strong swimmer.
5. Physically fit in order to sail on multiple different types of vessels, paddle both boards and canoes and perform strenuous activity for extended periods.
6. Certifications in life saving, first aid and CPR preferred.
7. Desire and ability to live and work in remote camp community.
8. Desire to work with children and ability to supervise them and make proper
9. Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other
hazards related to the activities.
10. Good character, integrity, flexibility and adaptability.
11. Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and self-control.
12. Must be able to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
The Sailing Instructors at CIMI-Toyon Bay have the responsibility to provide quality instruction and leadership in the youth sailing and summer camp program at CIMI.
1. Ensure all programs are conducted in accordance with the policies set by CIMI,
2. Development of necessary skills to ensure quality of the program.
3. Assume duties of Beach Master, Lifeguard, Sailing Instructor and Boat Maintenance when assigned.
4. Attend and participate in all leadership and instruction sessions scheduled by
the Sail Director, Program Director or Executive Director.
5. Drive safety boat when assigned.
6. Drive program boats when assigned.
7. Drive program vehicles when assigned.
8. Greet incoming groups at the pier and load luggage.
9. Assume role of sailing instructor, lifeguard and program coordinator for groups when assigned.
10. Work evening programs as required to meet camp needs.
11. Generate ongoing enthusiasm and participation in camper activities.
12. Perform other duties as assigned by Sailing Director.
1. Must be able to communicate and work with the camper groups by teaching all aspects of sailing including proper sailing techniques and proper safe boating practices.
2. Ability to paddle a large outrigger canoe with up to 10 kids for an hour in varying weather conditions.
3. Have the knowledge to teach sailing on many different types of vessels such as Lasers, 420’s and catamarans.
4. Have the knowledge to be self sufficient while teaching students on a sailing vessel without auxiliary power up to 2 miles off shore for multiple hours.
5. Must be physically fit in order to perform strenuous activity for extended periods.
6. Ability to pull boats weighing up to 450 pounds in and out of the water and across soft sand with the help of another instructor .
7. Ability to drive a boat in order to drive chase boats during sailing classes.
8. Greet incoming groups at pier and load and unload luggage.
9. Ability to perform simple boat maintenance projects and demonstrate the proper use of tools
10. Lift, carry and move heavy objects when necessary.
11. Be able to respond to emergency situations by providing the leadership necessary to enact the Emergency Action Plan.
12. Abilities to observe student and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply appropriate behavior.
13. Understanding of the Hazard Communication Plan and MSDS forms as well as other
GD Safety Programs including but not limited to Lock out/Tag Out, Confined Spaces,
Respirators and Blood borne Pathogens.
14. Ability to drive vehicles.
2. Full meals at the CIMI Dining Hall when kitchen is in operation
3. Opportunity to sail great boats in a great sailing environment
4. Guest visitation privileges to the company facilities with prior permission
5. Opportunity to check out powerboats and diving gear in accordance with company policy
6. Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful mountain and ocean environment
Remember to say you found this job opportunity on GreenJobs.com.