Guided Discoveries (GDI) is an Outdoor Education/ Summer Camps non profit corporation providing outdoor experiences to children for over 35 years. All the GDI camps encompass STEM programs into the curriculum. Our camps on Catalina Island are set amongst the mountains and ocean providing a wonderful environment with a keen focus on marine biology and island ecology. The camps on the island, (Toyon Bay, Cherry Cove and Fox Landing) provide school programs for many school children in various states and/or summer camps for children from all over the world. Astrocamp is nestled in the San Jacinto mountains in the small town of Idyllwild in Riverside County, focusing on Physical Science, Astronomy and Space Exploration with many STEM activities.
Catalina Island Marine Institute on Catalina Island has openings for several full time Kitchen Staff including several experienced Cooks, experienced Kitchen Prep and Dishwashers. This is a unique experience working and living in an island setting with great benefits to work there including housing/meals at very low cost, many events and water/land activities, health benefits and more.
Salary for Kitchen team will be new minimum wage for LA County less small deduction for housing and meals. Must live on site.
Room accommodations for single housing only.
• 1-3 years of good kitchen experience.
• Candidates must be 21 years of age with high school diploma or equivalent.
• All candidates must be able to successfully work and live in an island environment
• Must work well with staff and children.
• Patience and flexibility is necessary.
• Positive attitude, smiling face and finding enjoyment in the island lifestyle is key.
• Must be self motivated to work individually or in a team setting.
• Will need to pass FBI background check, fingerprinting and drug test.
*Proven experience in quantity, variety and short order. You could be providing 3 meals daily for up to 280 guests and 100 staff.
Must handle requests with or without limited notification.
*Must be interested to learn new skills.
*Quick learner with can do attitude.
*Ability to take direction from others.
*Previous experience working in a kitchen setting.
*Provides support to Cooks and Dept management.
*Successfully complete daily routine tasks in a timely manner.
*Quick learner with can do attitude
If you meet these qualifications, please apply.