Acterra is driven not by ego, but by the opportunity to learn and grow together, while achieving high impact through fighting climate change and reducing carbon emissions. We harness the individual strengths within our staff and our network to foster a leader-full organization and movement. Our team members are high performers and high collaborators, and we encourage creativity and failing forward. This is not an aspirational vision: this is how we live and breathe into our work together.
Acterra is a Bay Area-focused environmental organization based in Palo Alto that brings people together to create local solutions for a healthy planet. The organization’s roots go back to 1970 with a history of inspiring and motivating action for change. Acterra offers a number of programs that bring people together to create local solutions for a healthy planet, including:
- Climate Resilient Communities: an environmental justice program that helps residents in low- income communities create resilience against climate change impacts;
- Karl Knapp GoEV Program: a program that helps accelerate the shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy by educating people about the benefits of electric vehicles and helping them with their decisions to purchase or lease a vehicle and to get EV chargers;
- Business Environmental Awards: a program that honors environmental sustainability leadership in the business sector and drives further innovation;
- Silicon Valley Green Team Network: a volunteer network that provides a venue for employee sustainability advocates to help increase sustainable behavior at their workplace;
- Public Lecture Series: a bi-annual series of innovative and motivating lectures that build awareness of emerging environmental issues and
The Community Engagement Associate position provides organizational support to program staff and allows them to focus on building leaders on the ground and growing networks to achieve the program goals. The Community Engagement Associate is a full-time, non-exempt position that is perfect for those who enjoy planning and preparing for public and private events of all sizes while helping diverse communities of people come together to fight climate change.
Essential Duties and Functions
This position supports Acterra’s program and fundraising departments to plan and execute community engagement events including both Acterra-organized and externally organized/sponsored events.
Volunteer program communications, metrics tracking, and training are key components of this position. Activities include pre and post-event work as well as day-of -event support. Frequent staffing of evening and weekend events is required, and as such, this position has a dynamic schedule that may change seasonally. This position requires flexible hours so as not to exceed 40 hours per week.
- Participate in planning and executing our community events by coordinating with staff, potential venues, presenters and
- Participate in planning and executing our Lecture series, 2-3 annual fundraising events and multiple program-specific
- Provide pre and post-event support for all events, all logistics and project management tasks including in-kind
- Produce pre-event checklists, forms, and timelines and communicate with the event team including volunteers and
- Carefully track all new and existing accounts that result by event for further
- Manage pre and post-event communications and follow-up emails including event surveys in partnership with Communications
- Organize and support the core functions of our volunteer program including onboarding, trainings, team building and recognition
- Update policies and trainings as needed for specific volunteer opportunities
- Act as the key point of contact for potential and new
- Manage a volunteer event sign-up platform to ensure correct event details are available, track signups and ensure that our volunteer needs are filled before each
- Manage volunteer data in our database including volunteer hours, projects,
- Manage and regularly execute all volunteer
- A minimum of two years of event planning and event management experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, preferred experience with fundraising software (Acterra uses Bloomerang as a CRM, and Constant Contact as an email service), familiarity with Mac preferred
- Flexible schedule required for occasional evening/weekend events (at least one per month)
- Passionate about environment sustainability
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Strong editing and project management skills
- Self-starter with the enthusiasm to implement new strategies and meet ambitious goals
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage and build relationships with people from a wide diversity of backgrounds and cultures
- Strong team player
- Valid CA. Driver’s License
- Employee is required to speak and
- Employee is required to lift 20
- Employee must be able to drive and has a
Compensation, Hours, Location
This is a full time, non-exempt, salaried position with a preferred location in Palo Alto, CA. Your schedule may vary based on need and will include evening and weekend hours on a regular basis. Exact salary will depend on qualifications, but will be in the range of $40K to $60K. Acterra strives to provide equitable and competitive compensation for all of its employees.
Remember to say you found this job opportunity on GreenJobs.com