Wind Tech Recruiters is seeking an HSE Director for a leading wind company. The position comes with relocation assistance to the Cedar Rapids, Iowa area.
This position is responsible for developing, implementing, maintaining and ensuring the continued effectiveness of Health, Safety, and Environmental Management System programs.
- Define Health, Safety & Environmental (HSE) strategies for North American operations.
- Build relationships at all levels across the organization, including Global HSE Leadership, while also providing competent counsel to the leadership team to support the company’s commitment to Health, Safety and Environmental excellence.
- Leadership responsibilities for HSE staff and budget.
- Establish and maintain North American Corporate standards to ensure the Environmental, Health, and Safety of employees and that organization is in compliance with applicable federal, state, local and Corporate Environmental, Health, and Safety regulations/ requirements.
- Provide regular updating of appropriate documentation and for liaising local, regional, and global teams.
- Interpret and implement the Global HSE requirements established by Division International HSE Leadership. Work in conjunction with Global HSE groups to develop and implementation of corporate policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement North American HSE systems and programs, and work closely with function and division managers to ensure their implementation; oversee continual compliance and improvements.
- Provide assistance and support for HSE consultation and recommendations to project and site management personnel throughout all phases of site construction and operation.
- Lead North American operations as the Management Representative in the development, maintenance and continual improvement of the ISO 14001 & 45001 certifications.
- Oversee audits of projects and service sites performed by internal and external auditors to ensure their compliance with both internal and external regulatory requirements.
- Oversee near miss, incident, injury, or illness investigations completed by HSE personnel to ensure true root causes are discovered and effective corrective actions are developed and implemented.
- Conduct site visits to evaluate site and work hazards prior to bid or plan development.
- Manage and develop a strong team of HSE professionals working with multiple levels of the organization (Leadership and non-Management employees) and during multiple stages of operation (Construction, Warehousing, Services, Management System Assurance)
- Responsibilities and Collateral tasks as assigned.
Competencies/Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Experience with program and permit audits / inspections, including monitoring report submissions, record keeping, and action- item resolution.
- Strong working knowledge of Federal, State and Local regulatory compliance requirements; able to professionally represent the company when dealing with external organizations, regulatory bodies and with all organizational levels internally.
- Strong working knowledge of ISO 14001:2014 and ISO 45001:2018 standards as well as the ability to implement and maintain safety programs in accordance with these standards
- Knowledge of the technical aspects driving the wind industry would be advantageous.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certifies Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) or equivalent professional designation required.
- Proven interpersonal, verbal and written communication, negotiation, leadership, detail, and organizational skills.
- Strong demonstrated ability to balance/maintain conflicting goals, responsibilities, and priorities of the organization.
- Must be comfortable dealing with a strong management team and able to positively influence the group when necessary.
- Must be able to lead cross-functional teams for the purpose of evaluating and continually improving the management system
- Ability to professionally represent the company when dealing with external organizations and regulatory bodies such as OSHA, Customer Representatives, and ISO 14001/45001 registrars.
- Must possess the ability to analyze situations in a fast-paced environment and execute effective decisions.
- Proficient in the following application programs: Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat
- Be highly motivated, business-oriented and used to work independently; however, with support from and in permanent cooperation with all team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline or equivalent
- Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 10 to 15 years of progressively responsible experience within Environmental, Health, and Safety including a background in electrical safety; construction safety operations; hazards; and safety management practices.
- Must have several years of experience in a management or director level role.
- Must be able and willing to TRAVEL (Approximately 25-40%)
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be eligible to hold a U.S. Passport
- Ability to work in an outdoor environment during wind farm site visits
Physical/ Mental Requirements:
Working conditions are normal for an office environment, with periodic travel to construction sites or operating wind farms. Working in this environment will require the occasional use of safety equipment to include but not limited to protective eyewear and footwear, hearing protection, and hardhats.