The Investment Officer supports the GGGI HQ and GGGI Pacific team to manage and deliver on green investment projects being developed by the GGGI Pacific team with the GGGI HQ Green Investment Services (GIS) team. The focus of the work will be Vanuatu, but the investment officer may support investment projects in other Pacific Island countries.
The Officer-Investments shall, among others:
- Identify potential green investment projects and create a project pipeline
- Independently write idea notes and concept notes
- Independently develop financial models and perform sound financial analysis
- Draw conclusions from financial analysis and use the financial projections (including valuation) to design/recommend suitable financial structures, identify project issues, opportunities and risk/reward factors
- Develop and maintain investment documentation under guidance from the deal team (GGGI HQ GIS and GGGI Pacific team)
- Support the Senior Investment officers in GIS, the country representative for Fiji, Vanuatu, Tonga, PNG and Kiribati and the GIS head of department on business development by collecting and analyzing market data to support identification of new business opportunities
- Demonstrate sound analysis of financial models to assist screening of business opportunities
- Guide the delivery of projects in a timely manner and in accordance with reporting requirements
The Officer-Investments applies knowledge of project/portfolio life cycle to identify and meet critical path milestones, and to implement tasks (including production of documents) in a timely and high quality fashion for the processing or supervision of projects.
He/she shall also build his/her own understanding of GGGI project development methodology as guided by the head of department, and in line with the project team.
Core competencies and business acumen for this position have been categorized according to project structuring, portfolio management, and business development.
- Origination: Investigates and prepares the business case for new potential opportunities, including discussing with a wide range of stakeholders
- Summarises information succinctly and clearly and identifies the key points and actions
- Interprets term sheets and works with senior staff to draft investment documentation
- Project structuring: Applies finance skills to use assumptions into the creation of financial projections for renewable energy and green infrastructure assets
- Partnerships: works to create partnerships with appropriate entities to structure deals and carry out market research
- Delivery: Organizes analytical work to ensure that deliverables against milestones are provided in a timely manner
- Advanced university degree in areas such as international business or economics with further financial / economics training (Masters in Finance, MBA or equivalent), urban/ civil engineering
- Substantive relevant experience in energy and infrastructure sectors (at least 3-5 years), with sound understanding of finance
- Hands-on project management experience, an ability to efficiently manage a large number of activities simultaneously and to navigate through complex environments
- Willingness and ability to be deployed and to travel as required
- Oral and written fluency in English
- Create and analyze financial models and balance sheets
- Analyze historical and project financial statement
- Conduct industry and market research and assist in business development efforts
- Experience in at least one of the following areas: renewable energy, energy efficiency, sustainable land transport, urban and water infrastructure financing
- Help design financial instruments, infrastructure project development/assessment/finance, economic/financial analysis of infrastructure investment
- Experience with project finance, private or public sector projects, climate finance project development and/or in PPP transactions
- Experience with climate finance and investment banking is a huge plus.
- Strong analytical and modeling skills, with full knowledge of excel functions
- Experience with managing projects from development through implementation
- Attention to detail
- Commitment to gender equality
- Ability to value diversity in team, counterparts, and related stakeholders
- Ability to advocate and incorporate GGGI value within and outside the organization