Job Duties: Distributed Solar Development, LLC located in Schenectady, NY is seeking a Solar Structural Design Engineer/Drafter to support activities related to designing and supporting structural design and construction of Solar PV racking systems with a heavy focus on solar carports and garage top canopies.
Job duties and responsibilities include:
Determining the structural feasibility of applying solar PV on rooftops of commercial buildings and for designing foundation systems for ground mount/carport applications; reviewing of customer supplied drawings, preparation of preliminary structural designs, site plans and planning board documentation, the selection of procured racking systems, system layout optimization, site surveys and various tasks related to the electrical design and interconnect of the systems; assisting in keeping costs low while maximizing customer value; producing custom designs and renderings for PV carport and canopy systems interface with the standards working groups pertaining to
photovoltaic mounting system design and installation; optimizing carport designs for lowest cost considering total installed cost; conducting detailed customer site visits documenting site conditions, measuring beams, column spans, trusses, etc.; reviewing, interpreting and acting on engineering reports, managing relationships with other structural engineering firms; performing and managing due diligence on all aspects of racking system design; and designing foundations to support carport systems and brackets to connect canopies to concrete parking garages.
This position does not involve direct supervision of any personnel.
Masters degree (including foreign equivalent) or higher in Mechanical or Structural Engineering, or a related field and Three (3) years of experience in the job offered or in a related field. In lieu of Masters degree and Three years of experience the employer will accept a Bachelors degree (including foreign equivalent) or higher in Mechanical or Structural Engineering, or a related field and Five (5) years of progressive post-baccalaureate experience in the job offered or in a related field.
Qualified candidates must also have demonstrable knowledge, experience, skill, and proficiency (through experience or coursework) with the following:
1) 3D modeling skills with TEKLA or BIM software;
2) Calculations of loads per ASCE 7, IBC, ACI, AISC, PV SEAOC PV-I II or any other applicable codes;
3) Collaborating with client and technical office experts in preparing/reviewing/checking documents such as the Technical Inquires (TQ), Material Take Off(MTO), Bar Bending, and the same kinds;
4) Participate in professional and technical issues and inquires;
5) Assist in construction activities taken by contractors of the plant and supervise on, soil cut/fill activities, reinforcement and concrete activities, piling, structures foundation, equipments foundation, steel structure installation procedure, pre-stressed concrete
structures, buildings and anti blast buildings both structural and architectural aspects;
6) Design of equipment foundation.
• Travel: 10% of domestic travel per year; no telecommuting.
• No phone calls. No Emails.
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Mail resumes to: ATTN: Gregory Manning, Distributed Solar Development, LLC, 200 Harborside Drive, Suite 200, Schenectady, NY 12305.