Founded in 1994, the Wetlands Initiative (TWI) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to restoring the wetland resources of the Midwest to improve water quality, increase wildlife habitat and biodiversity, and reduce flood damage. With so much of the wetland landscape already lost in the Midwest, we design, promote and carry out the restoration of wetlands and associated habitats. We closely collaborate with a variety of organizations on our projects which have received regional, national and international recognition.
Our growing organization is seeking a new Finance and Operations Manager who is responsible for all accounting, financial reporting, and administrative operations. The F&O Manager develops and maintains TWI’s accounting practices and procedures including preparing accurate and timely financial reports and projections. The Manager works with program and fundraising staff on grant reporting and gift processing; coordinates TWI’s budgeting processes; handle contracts, payroll, insurance, and human resources processes; ensures that TWI’s Chicago office and field locations have appropriate supplies, equipment and administrative support; serves as Assistant Secretary and prepares minutes of board meetings; and handles other financial and operational issues as they arise. The Finance and Operations Manager reports to TWI’s President/Executive Director and serves as primary staff contact for the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
Normally this position is based full-time in our Chicago Loop offices, but of course the COVID-19 situation has disrupted that. Also, while TWI's Finance and Operations Manager has historically done bookkeeping data entry we have decided to add part-time assistance for that function which will be something for the new Manager to arrange and supervise.
Daily/weekly tasks and responsibilities:
- Manage and execute all aspects of accounts payable and receivable and accounting classification, including invoicing/billing. (See note above regarding bookkeeping data entry.)
- Generate quarterly financial reports and financial projections.
- Manage bank accounts and transactions.
- Process and reconcile payroll on a bi-weekly basis.
- Serve as TWI’s human resources manager including maintaining complete personnel files, processing transit-related collections and payments, in boarding new employees, serving as a confidential resource for staff members, ensuring compliance with all relevant laws and normal not-for-profit practices, and ensuring that organizational human resources policies and procedures are carried out properly.
- Administer foundation and government grants, and work with development staff to ensure the timely and proper processing of all charitable revenues (grant payments, individual donations, gifts of stock, in-kind contributions, etc).
- Exercise accounting control to ensure that budgeted expenditures do not exceed amounts authorized without proper approval.
- Maintain internal control policies and procedures, and critical organizational files both physical and digital.
Periodic tasks and responsibilities:
- Lead and coordinate the creation of TWI’s annual budget.
- Work with the President and the board’s Audit Committee to ensure a clean and timely annual audit process (usually conducted in late spring).
- Ensure the timely filing of all required tax reports including but not limited to federal Form 1099 Misc, state filings, payroll-related tax reports and filings, and local property tax payments and reports.
- Attend quarterly meetings of the Board of Directors and record minutes; attend quarterly meetings/calls of the Finance Committee to discuss and provide comments on the organization’s financial status.
- Supervise administrative operations including maintaining and purchasing office equipment, telephone systems and services, computer services and other office services.
- Regularly update the President and the board Treasurer on TWI’s cash situation and projected results.
- Work closely with the President in the development and economic evaluation of various fringe benefit programs for staff and program components.
- Maintain and periodically evaluate TWI’s insurance coverages and recommend changes as needed.
- Stay current on finance and tax-related laws and rules for not-for-profit organizations operating under Illinois law, and alert the Executive Director and Finance Committee of relevant changes.
- Maintain and track the Chicago office’s petty cash.
- Other operational or administrative issues as they arise, such as coordinating TWI's office adjustments to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
Required qualifications and attributes:
- At least five years’ full-time experience in administrative operations of a not-for-profit organization, government agency, or small to medium sized for-profit business, including accounting responsibilities and experience managing restricted grants.
- A bachelor’s or associate’s degree or equivalent, ideally in business, finance or a related field.
- A self-starter who's effective working independently and as a team member.
- Experience with office software including word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs.
Preferred qualifications and attributes:
- Familiarity with the not-for-profit accounting standards and requirements issued by the Financial Standards Accounting Board (FASB).
- A highly organized problem solver with proven ability to multitask, handle pressure and meet deadlines. Experience with fundraising software.
- Strong communications skills both written and verbal.
- Volunteer or professional experience at a conservation or environmental organization.
This is a full-time position with benefits. To apply please send a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com NO PHONE CALLS.
The Wetlands Initiative is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or marital status. Diversity of all kinds is a value that we cherish.
Please remember to say you found this job listing on GreenJobs.com