Simply stated, Materion makes advanced materials that improve the world. We are a global leader in creating innovative, high performance engineered material solutions and services for a wide range of growth industries: high-tech consumer electronics , telecommunications , commercial aerospace , defense , medical , automotive , and many more.
Our products, services and expertise help enable our customers' technologies. We supply sophisticated thin film coatings for hard disk drives, specialty inorganic chemicals for solar energy panels, bio-compatible materials for implantable medical devices, specialty alloys for miniature consumer electronics components, optical filters for thermal imaging, critical components for infrared sensing technology, special materials for LEDs and much more. As the world's only integrated "mine-to-mill" supplier of beryllium-based products, we also offer beryllium, specialty engineered beryllium alloys and beryllium composites.
In 2016, we generated approx. $1B in revenue. As a team of 2,500 associates, we partner with customers in more than 50 countries. In early 2017, Materion closed on an exciting new acquisition that expands our footprint in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
For more information, please visit our website at http://materion.com/About and check out our video " Materion Is " along with other videos of our employees sharing what it means for them to work at Materion.
Click on any of the icons below to connect with Materion on social media.
JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING STRUCTURE
Under the direction of the Associate Supervisor, the Melter/Con Caster sets up and operates manufacturing equipment associated with material fabrication.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Perform production setup, melt, casting and equipment tear downs, including operation of all casting equipment and processes for proper casting and melting of MATERION production orders.
* Operation and production of all induction casting equipment, bar heated ovens, vacuum melting equipment and continuous casters.
* Casting of production orders in accordance with the specified casting process for each individual order. Operator is responsible for checking each manufacturing demand along with the attached casting / melting process and verifying agreement between each. If not in agreement then operator should notify supervision immediately for instructions.
* Verification of cast metals material condition. Operator shall inspect each bar cast for defects. There shall be no piping, cold marks, excessive flashing or scale. Bars are to be of the proper dimensions, and be sound and suitable for further processing.
* Check molds being used prior to casting for surface condition and marks. Make sure that the mold is of the right material for casting the specific material (verify by Cast Procedure and on the Lot Process Traveler). Identify any molds in need of repair by marking and tagging the mold, and informing supervision to send them to machining for repair. Maintain all mold inventories in good clean condition, and replace to their proper storage location after use.
* Control of casting temperature of each melt in accordance with procedures by qualified usage of Thermocouples, and Optical Pyrometers.
* Maintains a logbook record of each material lot melted, and the conditions used during melting (temperature, flow rates, rate of pull, etc.). Insure that each lot is reviewed for agreement between Manufacturing Order and the Process Traveler Sheet. These must be in agreement, if not then stop and notify supervisor.
* Keep materials, equipment and work areas clean and neat by cleaning your workstation at the end of each shift.
* Work with Process Engineering to develop new casting techniques and processes for new material or improvements to existing products.
The above statement reflects the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the position described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the role.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or equivalent. 6 months on the job training.