Divisional / Functional Introduction
UPM leads the integration of bio and forest industries into a new, sustainable and innovation-driven future. Our products are made of renewable raw materials and are recyclable. UPM consists of three Business Groups: Energy and pulp, Paper, and Engineered materials. The Group employs around 23,000 people and it has production plants in 17 countries. UPM's annual sales exceed EUR 10 billion. UPM's shares are listed on the Helsinki stock exchange. UPM – The Biofore Company – www.upm.com
UPM Biomass Business is a part of the Energy and Pulp Business Group of UPM. Biomass Business is responsible for the sales of wood and biomass to external customers and sourcing of wood and biomass from Overseas. The organization of Biomass Business consists of Market Operations, Supply Solutions as well as Product and Supply Technology.
The Biomass Business is looking for a
SENIOR SPECIALIST, OPERATIONS
We expect the job holder to:
- strengthen our experience and knowledge of processing (chipping, pelletizing, torrefying) biomass for generating energy
- have a solid experience in operating pellet plants preferably pelletizing different kinds of biomass
- collaborate effectively with external and internal stakeholders
The position of the Senior Specialist will be in Product and Supply Technology. He/she will support both market Operations and Supply Solutions.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- screening and evaluating technologies for processing biomass
- active participation in the design, licensing and construction of processing plants and the logistics chain from the source of feedstock to the customer for the processed biomass
- supporting the management of the plants in running the plants
- monitoring the operations and the products of the plants for the compliance with the guidelines and specifications
- developing new feedstock, processes and technologies for the processing of biomass together with other UPM and externalspecialists.
The candidate should have the following qualifications:
- relevant work experience (7 years required, 10 years preferred) in processing biomass
- proven technical skills in operating pellet plants
- proven track record in successful operations (cost competitiveness, quality of products, HSE)
- existing networks with technology suppliers and research organizations
- understanding of feedstock and logistics chains from the source of feedstock to the customer
- ability to develop technologies and processes
In order to succeed you need a technical mindset and a talent for communication and networking in a global setting. Familiarity with forestry, agriculture, and other potential sources of feedstock is an advantage. You will need to collaborate actively with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
The job holder will report to Markku Halinen, Senior manager, Product and supply technology. The location of the position is negotiable. Preferably the location should be in one of the offices of UPM Forestry and Wood Sourcing in Finland, Germany or the UK.
For further information, please contact Markku Halinen, tel. +358 40 546 3958 or markku.halinen(at)upm.com.
Application deadline: 21 December 2012
For support with submitting the application, please contact ContactHR@upm.com, tel. +358 20 414 6600.
UPM is a non-smoking workplace in Finland as of 1 January 2013.