Strategic Energy Innovations
The position is unpaid, but expect significant development of their communications skills and networking opportunities. Our staff invests the time and resources to ensure that their commitment is meaningful and productive for both parties.
Strategic Energy Innovations (www.seiinc.org) is seeking 1 or more volunteers to support our Planet Energy Summer Camp and other work in sustainability education. This is a part-time, unpaid position, based out of our San Rafael, Marin County office. K-12 education is one of our 4 primary focus areas, in addition to green housing, sustainable communities and workforce development. Our sustainable education volunteer will have exposure to and support a variety of our award-winning schools-based programs, working specifically on planning, promoting and presenting our annual summer Planet Energy program, a hands-on summer camp focused on energy conservation and other related activities for youth ages 7-12. Volunteer hours can range from 16 to 40 a week for two to three months, but interns must be available to work Monday-Friday, 9-4, during the week of July 15 for the Planet Energy session. Internship applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until April 30, 2012, with target start date in mid to late May, though candidates who can start sooner are encouraged to apply. This is an ideal summer volunteership for a current college student.
Our sustainable education volunteer will have Planet Energy as their project focus, leading up to and during the early summer period. Depending on candidate availability and interest, you will have opportunity to work on other SEI education sector activities and programs.
About SEI and our Programs
SEI creates green communities by designing sustainability programs around four key sectors that make up the foundation of all communities: education, housing, government, and the workforce. Because we understand the many facets of sustainability, we’re able to see the big picture and pinpoint opportunities to help these communities reach their goals. Under the leadership of our creative and resourceful team, our clients reduce their consumption of natural resources and enjoy quantifiable savings. For more information about SEI’s programs visit our website at www.seiinc.org, and like us on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/StrategicEnergyInnovations.
Planet Energy Responsibilities:
- Assist with planning, marketing and outreach for Planet Energy Summer Camp, including the creation of marketing materials for newspapers and other media, and conducting outreach to schools
- Develop and improve curriculum and activities about the environment with a focus on fun, hands-on, project-based learning
- Facilitate and assist with facilitation of activities at camp while forming individual relationships with campers and their parents
- Be a source of positive, fun energy that kids can rely on to keep them happy and entertained!
Additional Possible Responsibilities:
- Assist in creating/editing videos about climate protection and energy conservation, or about SEI programs
- Develop and refine curriculum in sustainable agriculture, alternative transportation, renewable energy, and sustainability assessments for schools and small businesses
- Compile and analyze energy, water, waste, and transportation savings data from current school programs. Support school efforts to reduce consumption.
- Support other SEI schools-based efforts as time and interest permit.
No phone calls please. Strategic Energy Innovations is an equal opportunity employer.
Upon receipt and review of your application, a staff member will contact you and address next steps. SEI is looking to select 1 or more sustainable education volunteers.
- Experience working with children, ideally in a group setting
- Demonstrated ability to engage and appropriately discipline youth
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Background and familiarity in basic energy efficiency concepts and conservation practices
- Experience in marketing and/or community outreach
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated analytical and writing skills
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized
- Strong creative thinking skills
- Ability to research, organize, and synthesize information
- Experience with graphic design
- Experience with video production and editing
- Driver’s license and access to a car