Solar Electric Power Association
$74,000 - $98,000
Washington, Dist. Columbia
The Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1992 that represents approximately 1,000 utility and solar industry members. SEPA’s mission is to facilitate the integration of solar power by electric utilities. From co-hosting Solar Power International – one of the world’s largest solar events – and the Utility Solar Conference to facilitating peer interaction, providing research and advisory services, and providing market intelligence to all members, SEPA is the go-to resource for unbiased solar information and resources related to the nexus between electric utilities and solar energy. Learn more about SEPA at www.solarelectricpower.org.
The Director of Member Relations leads the organization’s work in outreach and engagement with members and prospective members, and is responsible for a revenue center that currently represents approximately 25 percent of the organization’s revenue. This position develops, directs and evaluates the strategy, materials and programs to recruit and retain members. This position also is responsible for identifying growth opportunities, analyzing market trends, and identifying and leading the solicitation of program sponsors. The Director of Member Relations oversees member programs and is a key contributor to the development of new opportunities to engage and meet the needs of the membership. The position is an overall contributor to the organization’s senior team, providing problem-solving and ideas for growth.
• Develops and oversees the implementation of the organization’s strategy to recruit new members, including message development and identification of target companies and new target market segments.
• Develops and oversees the implementation of the organization’s strategy to retain members, including identifying opportunities to modify and develop programs to meet evolving member needs, monitoring engagement levels of members, identifying strategies to engage more individuals within each member company, and identifying at-risk members.
• Leads the analysis of membership data and identification of trends, including regular reporting on membership statistics and the development and execution of an annual membership survey.
• Develops and oversees the implementation of member programs including but not limited to networking events, scholarships, online community, awards, and annual membership meeting.
• Monitors alignment of current membership categories and dues structure with goals of the organization and changes in the industry; leads efforts to make adjustments as needed.
• Serves as the staff liaison to the Membership Committee of the Board of Directors.
• Provides guidance to Solar Energy Trade Shows (an organization in which SEPA has a 50% ownership stake) on audience development and messaging strategies related to SEPA’s membership.
• Develops and executes strategies to secure sponsors for a variety of programs.
Financial and Personnel Management
• Prepares and manages budgets related to dues, sponsorships, and member programs.
• Oversees invoicing and collection of dues.
• Manages member relations team, building on their strengths and maximizing execution to grow revenues and membership.
• 8-10 years experience managing membership or marketing functions within an association.
• 5 or more years experience of supervising employees.
• Experience in renewable energy, electric utilities, or other related energy sectors preferred.
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience required.
Attributes and Skills
• Strategic thinker who isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves to get the job done.
• Analytical mind with a strong ability to identify and diagnose challenges of different market segments, create solutions to those challenges, and effectively communicate using messages which translate to that particular market segment.
• Natural tendency to act as a “connector”, always looking to make connections between ideas and/or people.
• Stature and confidence to build relationships and credibility internally and externally.
• Prizes relationships; establishes relationships by developing trust and by demonstrating willingness and ability to create value.
• Talent for business innovation with a constant eye towards evaluating the value proposition and new ways to meet objectives.
• Independent, self-starter with the ability to make good decisions without constant direction.
• Focus on accountability with a drive to meet goals.
• Strong leadership skills with the ability to mentor staff and lead teams of people towards common goals.
• Strong project manager with proven track record of completing short-term tasks under time-sensitive deadlines, while continuing to manage on-going long-term projects.
• Motivated learner who is comfortable in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
• Passion for working in a mission-driven organization with a focus on renewable energy.
• Flexibility to deal with a dynamic organization that is working in a fluid marketplace.
• Ability to handle typical office and computer related tasks.
• 5% travel to SEPA member/stakeholder locations, domestic and international meetings and trade shows.
Apply on-line with cover letter and salary requirements directly to Solar Electric Power Association.
Direct Applicants Only.
No search or placement firms.