A health care company with global reach. A product pipeline filled to the brim. A team committed to scientific advancement. Think what's possible.
Health, Safety, Environment & Business Continuity Officer (HSEO), Cambridge
Purpose: The role of the HSEO for Novartis’ NIBR Cambridge, MA location is to lead, develop, implement and oversee effective health, safety and environmental management systems, business continuity, and emergency management programs. The HSEO supports senior leadership and line management in the implementation of programs across the breadth of HSE & BC issues at the site, and as host of the site, provides HSE & BC support services and guidance to Novartis guest division(s).
1. Leads the HSE & BC function at NIBR Cambridge, working closely with Corporate, Division and other sites’ HSE staff, as applicable, including budgeting, hiring, supervising subordinates, strategic planning, etc.
2. Actively engages the NIBR Cambridge scientific and line leadership to support their ownership of HSE & BC within the line function and to further develop a strong HSE & BC culture at the site.
3. Leads and manages the Business/Research Continuity program for the site, including managing the Risk Portfolio for the site, and working with site management to reduce overall risk.
4. Oversees and/or leads the occupational health & safety, industrial hygiene and environmental management programs for the site, with a current staff of six HSE & BC associates who report to the Cambridge HSEO.
5. Coordinates (in lead or support capacity) the Novartis Emergency Management (NEM) and Incident Response programs for the site.
6. Promotes and supports the Energy Program at the site, in coordination with the site’s Energy Manager.
7. Develops, approves and/or submits reports on HSE & BC performance data for the site through the Novartis Data Management System (DMS) for internal and external Novartis stakeholders.
8. Participates in HSE & BC compliance and corporate guideline audits of the site, and ensures that effective corrective and preventive actions are implemented.
1. Develops and/or enhances effective and efficient HSE & BC Management Systems and supporting programs (e.g., Chemical Safety, Biosafety, Radiation Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Compliance, Occupational Health, Business/Research Continuity, Novartis Emergency Management (NEM), and other programs as driven by Novartis Corporate HSE Guidelines and Guidance Notes) that are appropriate in consideration of NIBR Cambridge’s complexity, population, regulatory burden/environment, criticality and location.
2. Ensures that NIBR Cambridge complies with all pertinent HSE & BC regulations, permits, statutes, local ordinances and/or other externally driven requirements.
3. Ensures that NIBR Cambridge conforms to all pertinent Novartis Corporate HSE & BC Guidelines, and associated Guidance Notes.
4. Ensures that NIBR Cambridge meets all Corporate and Divisional HSE Performance Targets.
5. Ensures that HSE & BC services are provided to NIBR and guest divisions in an effective and efficient manner.
6. Serves as the HSE & BC responsible party on HSE & BC issues at the site, which involve regulatory authorities (e.g., US Environmental Protection Agency, US Occupational Safety and Health Administration, MA Department of Environmental Protection, US Nuclear Regulatory Commission).