Arbor Day Foundation
Nebraska City, NE
Do you have the rare ability to lead people in a relentless pursuit of exceptional guest service without sacrificing the discipline of efficient operations? Does the opportunity to be part of an organization that strives to make the world a better place through environmental stewardship excite you? Would the prospect of operating, growing, and leading a unique, independently owned property appeal to you?
The Arbor Day Foundation is seeking a positive and inspiring General Manager with a strong operational acumen. This role requires an individual with a passion for excellence, an ability to lead, develop, and empower others, and a genuine desire to make our world a better place. The ideal candidate recognizes that providing exceptional service, being fiscally responsible, and having a tangible and positive impact in our community are not mutually exclusive.
The General Manager (GM) is responsible for achieving optimal guest satisfaction and a great working environment to attain all set objectives of the Arbor Day Foundation. The GM will plan, direct, and coordinate the operations of Lied Lodge & Conference Center. Duties and responsibilities include a diverse mix of strategic planning, managing daily operations, and planning the effective use of materials and human resources.
The Foundation offers an excellent working environment, pay commensurate with experience, an attractive benefits package, and the opportunity to enhance our environmental impact. If you thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy environment where you can make a difference, please submit a cover letter and resume to our Careers page on line at www.liedlodge.org.
• Embrace and further the mission of the Arbor Day Foundation through daily guest and team member interaction.
• Oversee activities directly related to providing excellent guest service to all internal and external guests.
• Exceed guest service expectations while simultaneously exceeding mission-supporting financial results.
• Direct and coordinate activities of Lied Lodge department managers and ensure collaboration with all Arbor Day Farm managers.
• Review financial statements, sales and activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and operational improvement.
• Direct and coordinate Lied Lodge financial and budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, and increase efficiency.
• Manage labor standards and property level expenses to achieve maximum flow through to the bottom line profit.
• Oversee capital budget and selection of capital goods, services and equipment.
• Work with the Director of Sales and Marketing to manage all sales activities of the property and meet revenue objectives. Activities include setting goals and developing marketing strategies, including advertising campaigns or sales promotions.
• Plan and direct revenue-generating activities such as holiday restaurant promotions, coordinating with other department heads as required.
• Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, conferring with Foundation officials and team members as necessary.
• Monitor hotel departments to ensure that they efficiently and effectively provide needed services while staying within budgetary limits.
• Oversee the remodeling or renovating of current facilities.
• Implement or oversee environmental management or sustainability programs addressing issues such as recycling, conservation, or waste management.
• Determine management staffing requirements and interview, hire and train new department leaders.
• Lead and inspire talented team leaders to ensure individual and team success.
• Continue to build an exemplary Lied Lodge management team through setting expectations, training, team building, coaching, holding accountable and leadership.
• Monitor, forecast, understand, analyze and positively affect mission-supporting financial results.
• Hold regular individual and team meetings with executive assistant and reporting managers toward ensuring that all members of the management team understand the challenges, goals and priorities of the department and are working together toward conquering/exceeding/addressing these.
• Ensure that all guest related issues are resolved in a timely manner
Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
• Sales Ability - Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of a product, service, or idea.
• Active Listening - Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others.
• Coaching and Development - Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas.
• Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
• Assertiveness - Ability to act in a self-confident manner to facilitate completion of a work assignment or to defend a position or idea.
• Financial Aptitude - Ability to understand and explain economic and accounting information, prepare and manage budgets, and make sound long-term investment decisions.
• Leadership - Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions.
• Strategic Planning - Ability to develop a vision for the future and create a culture in which the long range goals can be achieved.
• Team Builder - Ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
• Applied Learning - Ability and desire to participate in needed learning activities in a way that makes the most of the learning experience.
Education & Experience:
Education: Bachelor's Degree (four year college or technical school) Preferred, Field of Study: Business Administration, Hotel Hospitality Management, or related field.
Experience: 3 plus years of experience in Hotel Management or related business experience.
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office products.